Forum home The potting shed

Strictly 2019

• I stopped watching too Hazel, I didn't find very interesting either 😕😉
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,293
    I quite enjoyed it, although l felt there was a bit too much of Kevin Clifton and Anton (although Anton is the "elder statesman", l suppose. He would make a good diplomat, it's more what he doesn't say about his partners,  if you know what l mean). 
    They certainly work hard, but l would have liked a bit more insight into the way they approach training with the various partners they have had. Katya made me laugh with her "Walk. No, like a human" comment, and she got very emotional when they showed her family,  as did Diane when she talked about her father.  Sometimes they seem so perfect you forget there is a human being under all that makeup and glitter. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,379
    Too much whooping and hollering and not enough content about how they got into danicng - not always just to meet girls - and how they approach their own training and chorography creation as well as managingg diffent celebs.   Why does the Beeb insist on dumbing these programmes down to a level that assumes we're all comatose?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I felt for AJ when they showed (more than once), the time when he nearly dropped Lauren on the opening show. I felt like Neil was having (not so) subtle little digs at him the whole time. And as for Kevin and his OTT reaction through the years, on learning who his partner would be 🙄. I liked him when he first started, but l think his ego has taken over.
    Still, it's all part of the Strictly experience l suppose. I agree @Obelixx, it would be nice to get more of the background of choreography and psychology side of it,  that's the sort of thing they could cover on It Takes Two, instead of daft competitions and comedy videos. 
  • I couldn't agree more @AnniD.  About Kevin and "It takes two"the competition the professionals take part in with the fastest dance steps is fine,but the face pulling as they get their results is so annoying.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    I gather Zoe is not presenting ITT this year so let's hope there's some improvements.  More choreography corner and less face pulling.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • have not watched it for quite a few years - the inane goose-stepped paced slow clap along to nearly every piece of music (presumably to get into the rhythm) was just too annoying for words.

Out of curiosity does anyone here clap-along to every dance ?
    @Obelixx, Zoe Ball is still presenting ITT,  but not every episode . The other presenter is Rylan Clark-Neal, who seems to be getting everywhere at the moment .
    @BobTheGardener l know what you mean about the clapping ! Strangely enough,  l don't clap along .
    I believe it's encouraged by the producers, heaven knows why. I bet it annoys Dave Arch.
  • For a first weeks dancing some were really good. Although some scoring was rather random. 
    Thought the guy from Emmerdale was excellent. There were others too, although I don't know who they really are yet. The guy cleaning the car and the one with the man bun were great too.
    Wish they hadn't put Anneka in that track suit or arrived on the wire🙄
    Let's see what happens next week and who goes first 🤔

I find things like the Anneka start really embarrassingly bad and that tracksuit did nothing to help her dancing - nowhere to hide the lack of hip movement.

I thought the judges' comments were generally positive and helpful this year - Motsie is good and her presence seems to have focussed Shirley better - and there were some really good performances but, overall, the marking was too high.  8s in week one don't leave much room for improvement and there's lots of technique and artistry to improve upon even for the best. 

Encouraging night tho.  I think we're in for some good dancing in the next few weeks.