Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frog Dens

Has anyone made hiding places for frogs on land/for the winter months? This week I cleared a lot of bramble from the bottom of the garden and there have been the odd frog or two hopping about looking lost. By way of compensation I've dug two holes each about a foot square. Then laid some old wood over leaving a 'door', shovelling soil on to the wood and then covering with sticks and leaves. Hopefully they will get used though slugs and snails will be likely occupants too.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    Piles of logs are excellent homes for all sorts of insects and amphibians. Many will live at the bottom of a pond through winter, but it needs to be deep enough not to freeze solid.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,626
    Mine hop up into the raised beds and dig down under the capstones overhang . I have to be careful when taking out the dead bedding plants.😁
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272
    Our pond is slightly less than 2ft deep in the middle. I believe it's the male frogs that hibernate in the pond?
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,465
    I disturbed a frog last winter, it was living in a pile of clay lumps and rotting wood.  I piled it back together (leaving a doorway) and it was still there in the spring when I disturbed it again.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,126
    We have some large pieces of old terra-cotta pots on their sides in the Wilderness at the back of the pond ... and a couple of log piles ... but I suspect most of them hibernate in the big compost heap ... it’s one of their favourite places 🐸 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh