Forum home Problem solving

Any idea what this is?

Hi all - has anybody got a clue what this is? It has popped up throughout my garden this year - in bedding, pots, hanging baskets, raised bedding....everywhere! It is driving me nuts! 

• Buzzy2Buzzy2 Posts: 132
    Tomato plant ?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,494
    Look like tomato plants to me too. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,151
    And me. I often get them popping up, presumably from seeds in the homemade compost.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    If you rub a leaf, it will smell of tomato if that's what it is.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thanks everyone - that's what my neighbour said. I just couldn't work out how they germinated everywhere. No more putting tomato plants in the compost then
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,151
    I think in my case at least, the tomato seeds come mostly from the kitchen waste. There are always a few left on the chopping board.
  • It begs the question why I but tomato seedlings every year when they pop up so freely :) 
  • PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
    Tomato !I get loads growing in my garden, it is from the compost, but don't stop composting your wasted tomatoes, they are very easy to pull up. last year i transplanted one in to a pot and got loads of cherry tomatoes !