Forum home Problem solving

Banana Plant

Hi thank you for allowing me to join your group & the main reason altho i am an avid retired gardener of 68 is i have a Banana plant that is no longer producing leaves but there seems to be a huge bulbus lump growing in the middle & which looks like tiny flowers around the outside is it dying or will it die. It was repot in the summer when all the babies were removed is it pining for it's babies back ? Not sure what to do here. Thanks for any replies x

Andy living in Bognor Regis.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334
    It looks like it's going to flower. I'd just watch it and enjoy it.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    And keep it fed and watered during the gestation.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,475
    edited September 2019
    It is going to flower. Usually at that point the main stem dies, but it should throw up babies which will take over. Did you pot up the offsets or discard them?Also it looks to be in too small a pot. I know you buy banana plants in 6 inch pots, but mine lives in the biggest pot I can handle with a sack truck.    Mine is the purple leafed Maurelii, I think yours is a  Musella lasiocarpa, the golden lotus banana.  Bananas like a lot of feed and water while they are growing, they cannot get it in a small pot.