Forum home Problem solving

Asiatic Lilies

Can anyone please advise what may be the cause of the problem with these leaves. The plant had beautiful yellow flowers earlier in the year, after it was planted, but has not produced any flowers for a few months now. I pruned it lightly some weeks ago & removed some of the poor leaves in the hope it would reflower but without success.

• Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 128
    Thank you for the link Hostafan!
  • Don't panic! This is mostly normal Autumn dieback, though the beetles may have accellerated it a bit. Lilies only flower once a year, usually in early summer. I think the reason why they are not all that popular is that, while spectacular for a month you have to leave the foliage on after this ( a bit like daffodils) if you want a good performance next year and yes it does get a bit raggy. Lily beetles will not kill your plant. They are just snacking. If they reappear next year just squidge a few...
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Slugs annihilate them too - it's not just lily beetles.  :/
    You need to work quite hard to keep lily beetles away long term. We've only recently had them in high numbers here - last year in particular. Presumably the conditions suited them better. I religiously picked them off, and there was a lot less of them this year.
    Mind you, it just meant the slugs had a better dinner  ;)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Lily beetle and normal dieback I agree. 

I lift mine every year and let them dry out in the shed. Then pot up with fresh compost in April. I'm on clay soil and im not sure the drainage will be good enough if we have a wet winter. 
  • Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 128
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to give feedback. I checked  yesterday for any sign of beetles under the leaves and there were none to be found but following your comments, I can now look forward to seeing my lilies again next year!