clay bank

what can i do with a large bank of clay soil on two sides of a part of the garden

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    How big is it?  Any chance of trying to level it out a bit?  We've got the same problem. Most of it is lawned. The steepest bit only about 4ft x 3ft or so, which was difficult and dangerous to mow, I left as a rough bank and planted a hardy geranium, grasses, dwarf daffs & crocus and some cowslips, anything that would survive!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,115
    Could we send a photo please ... it’ll give us a better idea of your options. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,284
    Depending on the size, and the severity of the slope, you can either terrace it for planting, or simply cover it with all sorts of shrubs, perennials and trees. If there's room, you can have a simple seat built into it too. I did something very similar in a previous garden, where the pond had a steep bank running along it's length.

A lot depends on whether you want all year round planting, something for summer colour, something that's easy maintenance etc. Some more info and a pic will help  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• it's fall of rubble from people before and it's because a stream runs over the back of it to keep the water away from house. I'd like to make the whole area into a meadow
  • picture
  • ideas on this rubble bank
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,764
    edited 9 September
    Meadow sounds like a good idea.

There's a bank near me that was dug as part of a flood alleviation scheme. It's covered in Deschampsia cespitosa, a native grass which forms dense tussocks and has really lovely seed heads. It out-competes 'weeds' and most wildflowers, but things like Ox Eye Daisy and Lesser Knapweed do grow amongst its tussocks. So it is more of a permanent tussocky grassland than a meadow, but it looks after itself with little maintenance and looks good.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,115
    @WillDB that sounds beautiful 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thanks good idea i'll check out grasses and i love ox eye daisy so might just do that