Forum home Fruit & veg

Identifying Plum Variety

Hello! I was wondering if any of you could help me identify the plums growing in my garden. I’ve recently moved house and the plums will be ripening soon, but I can’t work out what type they are. Any ideas? Thank you! 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    It may be a gage rather than a plum (if so, lucky you!)  Google "Coe's Golden Drop" which might be close.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,167
    Could be a mirabelle?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,874
    Bit big for a mirabelle. The only year the mirabelles next door fruited, they were the size of damsons, but ever so sweet.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • My initial thought was Mirabelle, but it did seem a bit big. Is there such a thing as mixed varieties? As in a sort of crossbreed or hybrid? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Sorry, missed the post! Ooh, maybe? The skin seems brighter on my plums, but it certainly fits the broad description & the late ripening. Thank you! 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,874
    It looks like a Coes golden drop to me. Large golden plum with some red flecks.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,510
    Me too. Golden Drop is a choice variety. Lucky you 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh