Forum home Wildlife gardening

Family bath time

Sparrows sprucing up or cooling down

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,009
    So cute ! Love the one in the water having a good splash  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118
    Oh that's just gorgeous @Guernsey Donkey2  :)

Aren't they a total delight when you see a load of them? I can't help smiling when I'm out and see huge flocks scurrying around and making a noise. Especially when they're on flyaway stems of hawthorn hedges, bouncing up and down on them in the wind  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you @AnniD and all the other likes too - I must admit it is rare to see so many birds in our birdbath at the same time, so derserved saving and sharing.  The Gold finches, starlings and a few other types of bird we have visiting here come in family groups - all or nothing. 
    Please don't judge our pond by the amount of blanket weed (in the background), that blanket weed is covered in dragonfly eggs which will eventually find their way to the bottom of the pond, overwintering, and then emerging as beautiful dragonflies next Spring/early summer. I am loathe to upset this for the sake of esthetics.
    Never even noticed it GD. :)
    It's brilliant, considering how much trouble you've had with the pond, that you have all those dragonfly eggs. I'm very jealous!  ;)

• @Fairygirl we were surprised in pond year two to see dragonfly nymphs emerging from the pond - where did they come from - so a quick google gave us all the information we needed.  The cat thought they were wonderful playthings but soon got to understand that like the birds they were also forbidden play things. Perhaps you have frogs @Fairygirl?  We can't get donated tadpoles to reach maturity - we think either the newts or dragonflies devour them before they turn into frogs.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
     We can't get donated tadpoles to reach maturity - we think either the newts or dragonflies devour them before they turn into frogs.
    It might that the water chemistry isn't right for them.  Adult amphibians have a pretty good idea what conditions are right for breeding, that's why so many return to their own birthplace to breed.  If they aren't spawning in your pond, there is probably a good reason, which may not be apparent to a human observer.  The frog and toad conservation people generally discourage importing spawn or tads from the wild, or from other garden ponds, because disease can spread that way.
    They say newts and frogs don't live together, and certainly tadpoles get regularly eaten by other predators, but I know you had a lot of  difficulty with the water early on @Guernsey Donkey2. I have a solitary little frog, but hopefully he/she will find a little friend at some point  ;)
    Lovely pic  :)