Forum home Problem solving

Something wrong with Azalea

So I have recently bought this Azalea, which I keep in a pot (obviously in ericaceous compost). However this started happening quite recently - the leaves have been wrinkling and drying up (pictured).
I think it's because I have been watering it too much but I am not sure.

Azalea japonica 'Peggy Ann'

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    Are there any un-neutered cats around?

Overwatering is unlikely, unless there's no holes for drainage in the pot. Sometimes drying winds can cause problems too.
    Is it raised off the ground though?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Are there any un-neutered cats around?

Overwatering is unlikely, unless there's no holes for drainage in the pot. Sometimes drying winds can cause problems too.
    Is it raised off the ground though?
    No cats, drainage is all good.

Must be the wind for sure then. I get a massive wind tunnel on the balcony - literally whips through...
    Great help - thanks a lot :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    Ah- I didn't realise it was on a balcony  :)
    Hot sun can do the same - or a combination. Azaleas tend to prefer a bit of shade, and they don't like dry conditions. If you can give it some shade - a windbreak of some kind would help with both of those situations, and make sure it has a suitable medium to grow in [not compost alone if it's staying potted] and doesn't get dried out, it should recover well enough.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Ah- I didn't realise it was on a balcony  :)
    Hot sun can do the same - or a combination. Azaleas tend to prefer a bit of shade, and they don't like dry conditions. If you can give it some shade - a windbreak of some kind would help with both of those situations, and make sure it has a suitable medium to grow in [not compost alone if it's staying potted] and doesn't get dried out, it should recover well enough.
    yeah, it gets a good amount of sun for an azalea - usually up to 4 hours, direct.
    I will probably move the azalea to the little corner where the least wind turbulence occurs.
    Main problem is that its a walkway balcony - and the wind absolutely rips down a 50m path and right into my plants :(

Best bet for me, I reckon, is perfect plant choice haha