Forum home Problem solving

Autumn hanging baskets/containers

I managed to rescue my hanging baskets after a particularly fierce wind and rain storm back in early July- which had followed the first of the heatwaves and they've looked really good until now.  However, the last lot of wind and rain had all but finished them off and one has already been taken down with another to follow probably tomorrow.  I'm thinking of doing autumn containers this year - what would you suggest.  East facing but gets lots of sun and light from early-ish with the sun rounding the corner at around 11:00 a.m.  We're in Newark, so does get colder, drier weather than west of the Pennines but does sit in a small valley so a little warmer than, say, the fens of Lincs.  2 hanging baskets, one window basket.  Regular red brick on the building with white doors and windows.  Just grass and a little gravel at the front on the road.

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Pansies, violas, Dianthus(dwarf flower Autumn and again in Spring)), heather,ivy, euonymus, thyme,grasses,cineraria,sedum,'Sugar Rush' wallflowers (they flower Autumn and again in Spring) polyanthus, primula. ferns.

If you visit a good Garden Centre you should find a large range of Autumn to Spring plants especially for Hanging baskets and containers.

Don't forget to put in a few Spring bulbs, too. Narcissus 'Tete a Tete' are ideal
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Primulas and Tete a Tete work an absolute treat, my best combination so far-

Whatever you do plant, I do think it's a no brainer to also put some bulbs in.
  • Thanks, forkers.  I can see that all working well for the window basket...but the 2 hanging baskets are fairly high - I'm 5' 8" and have to reach up to water them - so are there any autumnal trailing plants around?  I'll be visiting the garden centres this weekend (thinks: must hide this post from Himself.  Scenes of "Really?  Are you serious?" come to mind:/ ) so hopefully I can find some.
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 336
    Have a look at Heuchera Redstone falls maybe? It’s evergreen. 
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Can you fasten a length of chain to your brackets to allow you to lower the height of your baskets? 
    There are not as many trailing plants for this time of year as there are in the Summer.
    However, if you can find a good potful of Ajuga,  that will fall over the side of a basket along with ivy. Grasses can be planted to fall over the sides too.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Sounds good, all written down in my little book - thanks again, Forkers.  You're the best!!