Forum home Wildlife gardening

Butterfly

BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
edited September 2019 in Wildlife gardening
Found this little beauty in my shed.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    He's  lovely @Bijdezee. I saw one on the lower slopes of a Glencoe hill recently. 
    A speckled wood I think  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,524
    A beautiful speckled wood butterfly.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,583
    Oh good.  We've had a few of those but I thought, being hairy, they would be moths.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The speckled wood is our most often sighted butterfly, along with the inevitable cabbage white, then Red Admirals, Holly blue and for a short period painted lady and Peacock and one or two others.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    To be honest we have not had a good year for butterflies. Last year my echinacea were covered in peacock, painted lady, red admiral and comma butterflies. This year hardly any. We usually see a swallowtail or two. This year none. Hoping next year will be better. I think that's the gardeners mantra - always hoping for better next year.  ;)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    I think we’ve had all your butterflies @Bijdezee our garden’s been full all summer ... they must’ve hopped on a North Sea Ferry 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I think we’ve had all your butterflies @Bijdezee our garden’s been full all summer ... they must’ve hopped on a North Sea Ferry 😉 
    So, it was you that stole them! Probably lured them away with tiny cups of sugar water.  ;)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    No sugar here ... but the white ones certainly came here to target my broccoli 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    We certainly had more than our fair share of painted ladies, which has been an absolute joy. Only one red admiral so far, but a lot of the plants they like have been slow to come into flower this year. Still waiting for the Acteas, which they love. 
    I've only seen the speckled wood when I was on that walk, but I expect we get them around here too. Plenty of suitable habitat for them. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    They are very good at hiding, fairygirl! :)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.