Sending or receiving plants through the post.

I'm  wanting to ask for opinions on methods of packing plants that are going through the post.
Fool proof method's,  as there are clearly fools within some coutier companies-read on.

One good tip was to use the smallest box possible. Another was pack them tightly together using newspaper to prevent them moving about.

Imagine if a box containing plants is turned upside down, or thrown around a bit at the sorting depot.  Unless the plant pots/containers are anchored down in some way, it seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

What about the soil?
One may have the patients to tape  a  cardboard collar over the soil in the pot. But what about regular sending of plants?

I once received some Aloes with several  stems broken from 2 of the 3 plants, even though the plants were taped down securely to the base of the box. They had clearly received rough handling after despatch.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,284
    I'd say that something like an Aloe is always going to be difficult to post. Personally, I'd put a tube of cardboard round the whole thing to prevent damage, but I doubt you could ever guarantee it would be perfect.
    Most small perennials can be sent quite easily. You can put cling film round the top to prevent soil escaping, and you just need to wrap in damp paper first, then a bit of card and into a jiffy bag, or a simple parcel of plastic round the card, with bubble wrap as well if you feel it's needed. A paper towel inner tube is ideal for them. 
    I've just sent one to a forum member, and I've done it several times in the past too. They've all arrived safely.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Difficult to imagine from a description-picture paints a thousand words as they say.

I think the main aspect is  being able to somehow anchor the pot down in the box to stop the pots moving if the box is turned upside down & tossed about.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,245
    I've received a few succulent plants through the post and most have been sent bare root and arrived fine. One guy though posted it with the pot full of sharp, gritty soil and not much packing. It was like a build-your-own plant kit by the time it got here with bits looking like they'd been in a tumble drier full of sharp grit. It's grown into several nice plants now though. My most recent sedum was packed bare root and nice and tightly in a good box and still got damaged on the way.
  • @wild edges

Ha ha 
    "a build-your-own plant kit by the time it got here" 

It is true though. I don't think people realise what a parcel can go through. 

Even packing tightly is no guarantee of safe delivery as you can attest. I've seen these TV progs of bagage handlers tossing cases around, and couriers throwing parcels over the garden hedge.
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 274
    I Often recieve my plants with the pot tied up with a  nappy/doggy/small bag tied around it to stop compost falling out. It works well. Boxes are often packed with newspaper and taller plants often have a short bamboo cane or similar in the pot. 
    One sends plants with the pot removed and wrapped in newspaper then tied in a bag. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,119
    I send a lot of plants through the post, take out of the pot, (for lighter weight) poly bag with a rubber band round the base of the plant, into a box that just fits it and parcel tape the plant bag to the box, so it can’t move whichever way it’s turned, pack any places with paper of bubble wrap. 
    I can send 2kg weight of plants for £3.00 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hazyb said:
     taller plants often have a short bamboo cane or similar in the pot. 

Would I be understanding this correctly.....  the small bamboo cane in the pot is the full height of the box. Thus,  when the top of the box is closed & sealed the  pot is wedged in place?

If that is not what you mean, it has certainly provided me with an idea.
  • @Lyn
    Which courier/service do you use for he 2 killo £3 parcels?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,119
    edited 5 September
    Just the ordinary post office, I stamp the parcels then the  postie takes them for me when he calls. 
    Just follow instructions here.
    https://www.royalmail.com/price-finder
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,284
    Is there a reason you need to know @young codger? Perhaps we could help better if you have a particular plant you need to send. 
    I've had clems in pots with the canes. They're always well packed and secure. Usually they have a shaped piece of card or similar inside to hold them in place, and a bag round the soil to prevent it escaping.
    I try and send with as little soil attached as possible, and once they're enclosed in damp paper and cling film, they stay moist. I need to send a Ligularia to someone, which will require a bigger package, but I'll use the same method, just a bigger cardboard outer and wrapping.

I use Royal Mail too - around 3 quid depending on the weight etc, and I always send 1st class. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....