Forum home Problem solving

Privacy!

dsingh95dsingh95 Harrogate Posts: 21
Hi guys hope all are well! Just wondering what you guys would recommend for some privacy, I live in a corner bungalow, one side I have bungalows and to the other I have houses, and they can see into one side of my garden, what would you guys recommend to block out the few houses, PLEASE HELP!!!!! Many thanks 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Move to the middle of a forest? Have to say that's such a frequently asked question...maybe search the site and you'll get hundreds of suggestions.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    edited September 2019
    I’m sorry ... I really don’t wish to appear rude ... but I don’t think your garden is very overlooked ... certainly not as overlooked as our garden ... do people really stand at their bedroom windows and stare into your garden?  It is impossible to keep an entire garden totally private without creating a dark shaded box of 20ft tall evergreen hedging (and risk legal action from the neighbours/local council). 

I know it’s not what you’ve asked for, and for that I apologise, but if I were you I would focus on making a few secluded areas in your already lovely garden, for lounging, sunbathing, dining etc  and not worry about being seen by other folk when you’re walking about in your garden. 

If you really can’t bear living amongst other folk then the answer might be to move to a secluded rural spot. 

Im sorry if that’s not the sort of reply you were hoping for. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    I do hope it doesn’t feel as if I’m ‘having a go’ ... I’m not ... I would never do that ... I’m suggesting looking at the problem from a different viewpoint .... there are lots of ways to successfully create areas of privacy ... I don’t know of any way to make a garden totally private and yet still have an attractive garden. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Not very helpful @Hexagon:/

I don't think it's very overlooked either,  and certainly not as much as mine, but people have different perceptions of privacy. I can't see any issue in the second pic, but if you want a screen in the area of the first pic [is that part of the area seen in the 2nd one?] you could remove a strip of paving and have a narrow hedge there.

Things like beech or hornbeam can be kept narrow but allowed to reach a good height.
    Alternatively you can buy pleached trees [hornbeam is very popular for this ] but it's very expensive.

Another way is to use climbers, but you'd probably need to add height by putting another line of trellis and wires inside the fence you have, on posts. You wouldn't be able to add more height to the fence  you have, as it would then be too high.

A third way is to build a simple pergola [or two] inside the fenceline in the main areas you're concerned about,and plant climbers.
    It largely depends on your budget.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• That calls out for an 8ft conifer hedge. Leylandii or Thuja Plicata. Remove slabs if need be and carry out an annual trim to keep things tidy. 

East, low maintenance and great for nesting birds.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Assuming you want screening from the position you took the first photo, I suggest lifting some slabs in the middle and building a raised bed which would allow you to grow shrubs etc. which won't need to be anywhere near as high as any planted on the boundary, due to perspective.  It would also help to break up that large area of slabbing so be more pleasing to the eye.  I would lift the ones I've coloured blue and build it there:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • dsingh95dsingh95 Harrogate Posts: 21
    I’m sorry ... I really don’t wish to appear rude ... but I don’t think your garden is very overlooked ... certainly not as overlooked as our garden ... do people really stand at their bedroom windows and stare into your garden?  It is impossible to keep an entire garden totally private without creating a dark shaded box of 20ft tall evergreen hedging (and risk legal action from the neighbours/local council). 

I know it’s not what you’ve asked for, and for that I apologise, but if I were you I would focus on making a few secluded areas in your already lovely garden, for lounging, sunbathing, dining etc  and not worry about being seen by other folk when you’re walking about in your garden. 

If you really can’t bear living amongst other folk then the answer might be to move to a secluded rural spot. 

Im sorry if that’s not the sort of reply you were hoping for. 
    Thank you for your input and I will take your advice! Yes your right I might consider making a little corner! Thanks again 
    Hexagon said:
    Be careful @dsingh95, there are a lot of people on this forum who disagree with a human being having a right to privacy in their garden, and will even come along and post on your thread to criticise you or make fun of you.

You’ll get comments like “move to a forest” or “nobody cares what you’re doing in your garden”. Please don’t let these nasty comments put you off coming to the forum, I know it’s intimidating as a new member with people having a go at you, having been there myself.

I wish I could offer you more specific advice about privacy but I don’t have much experience.
    Thank you so much for such a lovely message. I really really really appreciate that and cannot thank you enough! Your message has really put a smile on my face so thanks! 
    Fairygirl said:
    Not very helpful @Hexagon:/

I don't think it's very overlooked either,  and certainly not as much as mine, but people have different perceptions of privacy. I can't see any issue in the second pic, but if you want a screen in the area of the first pic [is that part of the area seen in the 2nd one?] you could remove a strip of paving and have a narrow hedge there.

Things like beech or hornbeam can be kept narrow but allowed to reach a good height.
    Alternatively you can buy pleached trees [hornbeam is very popular for this ] but it's very expensive.

Another way is to use climbers, but you'd probably need to add height by putting another line of trellis and wires inside the fence you have, on posts. You wouldn't be able to add more height to the fence  you have, as it would then be too high.

A third way is to build a simple pergola [or two] inside the fenceline in the main areas you're concerned about,and plant climbers.
    It largely depends on your budget.
    Thank you so much for your message! I think that’s an amazing idea putting an extra line of trellis and growing some climbers, thank you so much again! 
    Assuming you want screening from the position you took the first photo, I suggest lifting some slabs in the middle and building a raised bed which would allow you to grow shrubs etc. which won't need to be anywhere near as high as any planted on the boundary, due to perspective.  It would also help to break up that large area of slabbing so be more pleasing to the eye.  I would lift the ones I've coloured blue and build it there:

Thank you for that good idea!!!