Forum home Problem solving

Invasive grass

I have this grass appearing all over my lawn that is spreading quickly via a tough root system just below the surface. Does anyone know what it is and, if anything, what I can do to get rid of it?  It's suddenly appeared this year in both front and back gardens! Pushing up through the drive too!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,154
    I’m wondering if it’s that annoying carex that infests damp lawns ... if I remember correctly  it’s resistant to lawn weed killers so if that’s what it is it’s a case of improving the drainage in the lawn so the conditions stop suiting it. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Could be but the roots look different I think. Couch grass usually has white roots but this is brown like dried up spaghetti!
  • Thanks Dovefromabove but my lawn is never damp, it's usually baked up and bone dry.
    We've actually given up on the front lawn and are replacing it with a couple of big flower borders and slate chips in between. Only to find it's  ow established out the back as well :(
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,154
    Ahh, not that then ... we’ll thats probably good news ... it’s a PITA 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173
    I have had similar infestations.  My lawn man says it is likely to have been spread from the bird feeder.  (I now select "No Grow" varieties).  To overcome the patches of this invasion, I have grown my own turf in seed trays ready to patch in where the troublesome grass can be taken out.  Whether or not this is successful remains to be seen - but I am ever hopeful!
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,972
    Yorkshire Fog maybe, or Poa annua? 
  • Thanks Shrinking Violet, we did suspect the bird feeder! Sounds like you have a good plan there so I wish you luck and will start getting my patches prepared!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,673
    The leaves look too broad and shiny to be Yorkshire fog. Maybe something like millet if it's from bird seed.
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173
    marioneharris287  I have done this in the past with some success - an area where the grass was sparse was replaced with home-grown turf and that has been  very good.  It's worth taking advice on which seed to grow (and it may be a bit late in the season to do it successfully this year, I'm afraid) but Dwarf Rye seems to be a very good one to use.  I have sown the seed in trays and then cut it gently a couple of times to give it a good root system.  Then, planted out (you can cut out the piece of compromised turf by cutting round the seed tray, if you see what I mean) and well watered after "turfing" and the result is not perfect - but far better than the coarse grass.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Crabgrass perhaps?