Forum home Problem solving

Insects on Willow Hedge

janerogjanerog Weymouth, Dorset.Posts: 4
I have a rather large Willow Hedge in my back garden and have recently noticed a lot of wasp activity in and around it. On closer inspection it is teaming with insects shown in picture attached. They don’t appear to have attacked any other plants so far but many are wandering merrily around the garden too. Grateful for any help/advice/identification and solution. Thanks. 🦟 

• aphids - greenfly/blackfly, they'll be gone within a couple of months once the first frost happen
  • janerogjanerog Weymouth, Dorset.Posts: 4
    Many thanks. I’ve never seen such big aphids before! Will they cause a problem to the hedge? It looks none to clever at the moment. I suppose it may be a problem every year then??
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    It's unlikely to cause longterm harm to your hedge. You could blast them off using a hose set on a jet spray. Some years, they are worse due to local growing conditions.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Yours is a specific type of aphid known as the Large willow bark aphid - more from the RHS: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=995

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • janerogjanerog Weymouth, Dorset.Posts: 4
    Many thanks all for your help and advice. 🙂
  • I find a bit of washing up liquid in a sprayer or a diluted bark wash get rid of aphids well.