Forum home Problem solving

How to get rid off this plant

I don’t know the name of this plant. It is about 4 years old. I would like to remove it as it is growing over my front path & smothering my plants behind it. It has got far too big. Has anyone any idea how I could do this please?
eileen 107

• Eileen 107, I don't know the name of the plant but we had it in our garden over 10 yrs ago and still we find seedlings popping up everywhere. I pulled out two in the lawn yesterday and my son said he dug up a few in the front garden. Either someone has this plant near us or the seeds lay dormant for year then up they come. If it develops a seed cut it off. Just had a look again at the photo, does it have orange or red flower spikes if so it could be a Red Hot Poker.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    I would say dig it up, getting out as much of the roots as possible.  It might be difficult if the roots have grown under the path, and you'll probably have to scrape back the slate chippings first.
  • NannaBoo no it has never had flowers. Thankyou for replying 😊
  • thankyou JennyJ I will start attacking it today 😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    Carex pendula... a right PTA .., you’ll need to dig it out ... you’ll probably need a mattock ... it has pendulous brown flowers and seeds and they get everywhere 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    I can sympathise. It's a real thug. There's a row of it outside a house near me, and the poor woman was out hacking it to the ankles a few weeks ago. 
    A well aimed, oil soaked, lit rag, might be the best option....

That was a joke not a recommended procedure @Eileen107. Just in case you were considering it.  ;)

If the seedheads start appearing before you can get it out, at least cut them off. That'll stop any more popping up, although it may well have happened already, from previous years. Keep an eye out for any if they do appear in future.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thankyou dovefromabove & Fairygirl for your advice. The oil soaked rag sounds very tempting but will resist the temptation 🤪
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Eileen107 said:
    The oil soaked rag sounds very tempting but will resist the temptation 🤪
    ...is the right answer  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....