Forum home Fruit & veg

Rotten apples - in compost or not?

I have a lot of brown, rotten Bramleys with crusty bits on them. Can I put them in my compost bin or will they spread infection?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,430
    In the compost bin is fine ... but leave a few in a secluded area for the birds and other wildlife. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I put rotten apples in the compost -  if there are some pathogens in there, the compost heap will probably kill them, and even if it doesn't, the compost isn't going to end up near the apple trees anyway. 
  • janebaljanebal Posts: 130
    Thank you Dove and Magpie - I now have a few buckets to put in the compost. Have made  Hot Ginger and Apple Chutney with the good bits. My Grannie's old recipe - very tasty and keeps for years. The last time I made it was in 2013 when the Bramley tree had it's last good year and we are still eating it.
  • Any chance you might share that recipe with us?
  • janebaljanebal Posts: 130
    Here is the recipe that my mum gave me. It is very easy, tastes better the longer you leave it and lasts for at least 6 years if properly sealed. My husband likes it in cheese sandwiches. I am  giving him the chutney I made in 2013 at the moment.
    Apple chutney may sound boring but believe me this really tastes good and I don't usually like chutney. Leave it 4 months to develop
    all it's flavour.

Apple and Ginger Chutney

3 lbs Bramleys (1362 grams)peeled, cored and cut in chunks
    4 oz (112 grams) stem ginger (or crystallized ginger) - chopped up
    1 level teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    I level teaspoon salt
    2 level teaspoons of mixed spice
    1 pint  (568 ml) of Malt vinegar
    12 oz (340) grams brown sugar
     8 oz (224) grams sultanas

1. Cook the apple chunks with the crushed garlic and HALF of the vinegar for about 10-15 minutes in a big pan until the apple has softened.
    2. Add chopped ginger, cayenne, salt, spice, sugar, sultanas and the other half of the vinegar.
    3. Cook again, stirring frequently, until the mixture has reduced and is like thick jam.
    4. Get a jam funnel and pour (or just spoon) into clean warm glass jars and seal immediately.