Forum home Plants

This plant has popped up in my garden. Is it poisonous as I have a dog? Can any one ID it for me ple

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 8,179
    It's thorn apple., a type of datura. It is poisonous so get rid if your dog is one who chews everything.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • It has white trumpet flowers  . Dont remember planting it at all.  Its quite pretty but my fig tends to nibble at my plants so am I bit concerned its toxic . 
  • I mean dog not dog lol. Sausage fingers . Ok I will get rid of it asap.  Thank you
  • Oh my word. I have read up on it thanks to Jenny's Id of the plant. Have just dug it up and binned it. Had no idea it  was that poisonous to humans as well. Thanks Jenny.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,010
    Datura stramonium ; one of the members of the wonderful Solanaceae family of which I am an ardent fan !
    These often appear following warm summers ; unfortunately I've never been lucky enough to find one in my garden :(
  • thorn apple, quite poisonous
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,537
    Quite a lot popped up last year. I think it was the heat.  The seeds can lie dormant for quite a while.
  • HelixHelix Posts: 631
    Lovely plants, even if only for safe areas.  The mythology attached to them is fascinating too, including stories about wild dreams if you fall asleep under an open flower as the smell is hallucinogenic.  Sadly they do kill people too.