Electric v push lawnmower questions.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 29
    Do you sharpen your mower blades regularly? If it that may well make a difference and orevent it ‘sucking’ up your grass. 
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,656
    Yes I replace the rotary blade regularly,even new it still sucks!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,953
    Dig up the "lawn" and try a gravel garden?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    Dig up the "lawn" and try a gravel garden?
     :o 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,953
    Well, grass isn't working so you need either to improve the soil, re-sow and nurture - which includes not cutting for several weeks - or else find a plan B and do something completely different.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 553
    The lawn is sparse and patchy necause of the tree/s, not the mower! Grass would naturally 'tiller and fill in gaps if a) it's the right type of grass, and b) conditions are suitable. A bagging mower won't suck up fresh grass shoots if it's set at a sensible height. 

Do you thin the trees now and again? I'd do that this winter, dress the lawn and broadcast sow a shade-tolerant seed. Put on a sprinkler during dry spells in the spring and cut at a high setting, or even consider taking the bag off to cut and drop if it's not too long. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,730
    I'm with @Obelixx. It's a relentless cycle of wasted effort to fight your conditions. 
    I love a bit of grass, but if I was in an area of low rainfall, and I had trees sucking up the available light and moisture, I'd definitely have a rethink. Low growing groundcover, which doesn't mind dry shade, would also be an option.

Maybe you could market that new type of lawnmower as well though .... :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

edited 2 September
    Well I am not giving up on my lawn just yet!
    Some areas are OK and when we have some decent rain it can actually get quite lush!
    Looking around for a seed mix for dry shade to go under the tree.
    Would anyone know if this was any good or could anyone recommend another mix?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graminex-Premium-Professionals-Evergreen-Maintenance/dp/B07Q6VVLR7/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2U3D8CQFLG62J&keywords=lawnsmith+staygreen+grass+seed&qid=1567443052&refinements=p_72%3A419153031&rnid=419152031&s=gateway&sprefix=staygreen%2Caps%2C326&sr=8-14

This was the lawn in April 2018 after a wet winter.As you can see the grass grows well round the tree.
    It is only when mowing in dryer weather that the mower sucks up the soil (even on the highest cut) leaving bare patches which I then have to fill in a reseed.
    Last year I cut it several times with hand shears and the grass grew much better,hence asking my original question as to whether hand mower was better with no 'sucking' action.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 553
    Sucking up the soil isn't leaving the bare patches - the bare patches are already there. 

Try A1Lawn for seed - I've used them before and the seed has be good. 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 866
    edited 2 September
    I had a few bare patches which I re-seeded with a combined fertiliser and seed packet from Poundland. The holes fill in reasonably well and all the grass around it was a much healthier, darker green and grew faster than the rest of the lawn. Looked a bit weird for a while. I might use it on the rest of the lawn after I rake it later this month.
    Any bare batches I had were a result of ants. I have a hover mower.
    If you're not sure about buying one yet, why don't you borrow a mower without a "sucking" action and try it out first?