Forum home Problem solving

Is this a common cherry laurel

Hi

I Bought a cherry laurel to add with 2 plants purchased a few weeks earlier from a different supplier.

The plant on the right is the new one which I am told is a common cherry laurel.

The darker green plants to the left are definetly common cherry laurel.

My concern is that the new plant had no label and only a barcode on the pot that said PRUNUS. I was told that the light green colour is due to underwatering/neglect and was assured with proper care that it would recover and end up with darker green leaves.

When the product was scanned at the till it came up as a Photinia Red Robin but was again assured that it is a common cherry laurel.

It does look like the other common laurels I have planted, except for the current leaf colour but am a bit worried its not a common laurel.

Can anyone advise / confirm that it is a common laurel and confirm that their explanation for the light green colouring is correct?

Thanks

Justin

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    I think it is a very hungry cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus).
    However, if it doesn't turn out to be what you expected - take it back to the supplier.

A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,776
    I agree 100% with @yorkshirerose 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the response.

I dug a 80L bag of manure and a 50L bag of soil conditoner into the general area and have put some root Grow direct into the hole before I added the plant.  Have given a good drenching with water so hopefully it will start to recover soon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,776
    Hexagon said:
    Also chop them down by half if you want them to thicken out!
    I agree 😊 if @justinpgreenaway reads the all advice we’ve given on the thread below he’ll know all he needs to about how to grow a thick healthy laurel hedge 

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/656523/help-needed-please-with-laurel-hedge-issues/p1
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,184
    It should be fine, but it would possibly have been better if it wasn't quite so far back into the corner. I assume it's to screen you from that adjacent road  ;)

Is that a dead/dying conifer to the right? You may need to give your new one a wee bit more attention than the others, which look good, just to get it established. The conifer will take a fair bit of moisture away from the laurels if it's still alive.

Cutting the new laurel back, as already suggested, will help it thicken out and grow better.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,431
    I don’t think it’s ever going to do well where it is. These Laurels grow 6’ in all directions, except upwards which will be endless! I would take the weak one out and put it just about when the green bits of the conifer are. As it grows you can cut the conifer back, also as said above, chop then all back by half.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks all, will take a look at the link. It is a conifer to the right, it’s alive, not in a great state and down to bare wood in places so the long term plan is to cut the conifer back as the cherry’s grow.