Forum home Problem solving

Note to self... (a lesson learned)

Do not deviate from my tried and tested suppliers! I have always used the same potting grit and never had an issue, but recently, whilst in a different nursery (in a hurry) I purchased some grit, which was not only very mucky (mine comes cleaned) but also I have noticed everywhere I have put it has developed some sort of weed that looks like miniature xmas trees! this is most annoying and time consuming having to keep yanking them out! Grrrrrr..

• B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    Sounds like marestail😲 I'd get rid of it pdq!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,813
    edited August 2019
    If marestail arrived in my garden via a commercial bag of grit I’d flippin sue them 🤬👩‍⚖️
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 702
    @B3, @Dovefromabove thanks for replies, I have attached a couple of photos of some that I pulled out this morning with the hope that you can tell me what it is, at the moment the ones in the pics are 8 cm long. t i a 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,813
    Phew!  Not sure what that is ... but it’s not Marestail ... that’s definite. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,358
    They look a lot like seedlings of Linaria purpurea, but they' re too small to be certain.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    That's good!! Looks a bit like toadflax
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 702
    Thanks everyone, well glad to know it's not too sinister but it is still very frustrating. I dread to think how bad it would of been if I hadn't given it a good wash through before I used it! Any ideas how to dispose of what is left of the bag?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,237
    edited September 2019
    Yes - thats a relief for you @Meomye !

I'd second toadflax too, but you could always leave a couple and see if you like them too. Not hard to pull out if you don't.
    They seed very readily, and grit is perfect for self seeders, so it would seem likely.  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....