Forum home Plants

Help with us shrub

IvyhouseIvyhouse Posts: 96
Dear all. This shrub in my garden has got a bit out of hand. An online app offered the closest id as Amorpha. If anyone concurs, how and when should I cut it back ?
Many thanks.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,045
    first thought was spiraea douglassii, but not sure
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,200
    Here is infor on this shrub from the RHS
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/26138/i-Amorpha-fruticosa-i/Details

As it's a summer flowering shrub and thus flowers on new wood, it is best pruned in spring but if it's really too big you could risk cutting it back half way now and then doing a final prune in spring.  Leaving growth on over winter will protect new shoots and buds lower down the stems from winter frosts.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,536
    I agree with Hostafan1 there. The shrub is a Spiraea Douglasii.
  • IvyhouseIvyhouse Posts: 96
    Many thanks for the speedy replies. The app is hit and miss at the best of times. The other option it came back with was rhododendron and even I know it’s not one of those.
    Ivyhouse said:
    Many thanks for the speedy replies. The app is hit and miss at the best of times. The other option it came back with was rhododendron and even I know it’s not one of those.
    sometimes real people know more than Apps. lol
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,728
    Especially the real people you meet on here 😊
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,200
    Well, I thought spiraea too but can't argue with an app!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    Well, I thought spiraea too but can't argue with an app!
     ;) 
    Devon.