Forum home Problem solving

Bonsai starter kit

So, I got this bonsai starter kit, it has a bunch of stuff you need and a manual.

In the manual it says to use the plastic bags provided, poke holes in them then incubate the seeds with the provided pots and soil inside the bag, the problem is that every single time mold starts growing just a few days into the 2 - 3 weeks it says to leave them in for, I've previously been opening it, scraping away the mold and then putting it back, and I did have 2 sets sprout previously, 2 also did not, and the two that did my own ineptitude managed to kill them. So, firstly I was wondering, should I take them out and remove the mold, before replacing them? And secondly, how necessary is it to have them in the bag in the first place? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,810
    Does it say what types of seeds you have?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes, I have 5 different types, each has its own little entry in the manual. Currently trying to grow red leaf maple. 
  • Automaton539Automaton539 Posts: 49
    edited August 2019
    So, anyone got any actual tips on how to deal with the mold issue, or whether I even need to have it in the bags first, or should just leave it in open air in the pots? Or any other general tips? 
    I wouldn’t worry about the mould. It’s there because it’s warm and damp. Presumably as soon as the seed germinates you’ll be taking it out of the bag and potting it up ...?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes, certainly, I'm just worried that the mould might kill off the seed/sapling between bagging and potting. 
  • In fact, another query, should I water it beyond the initial potting, while still bagged, before it germinates, or will the condensation produced be enough / shouldn't be watered to simulate summer? 
    The instruction booklet doesn’t give full instructions?  Is it a branded bonsai kit?

When ive germinated seeds in a bag the condensation had been enough , but it will depend on how long the individual seed takes to germinate. I think you’ll simply have to keep an eye on it and add water if the compost is drying out. 

• It's not particularly in depth, no. It just says stick the seeds in water for 24 hours, then rehydrate the soil, and squeeze out the excess, pot it and bag it for X amount of time, dependant on the seed variety, then refrigerate for cold stratification, again dependant on seed variety, though every time I had anything sprout, it happened even before it went into the fridge so I didn't bother, though I killed them by my own ineptitude so far. No specifics on watering, or not, in the mean time. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,331
    With most tree seeds, I would sow in a pot of compost, put grit on top, and leave it outside in a sheltered place for the winter. Check again in March.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Well, they're supposed to be indoor bonsai, so not entirely sure they'd survive a natural winter.