Forum home Plants

A little smug

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,552
On the 13th of June I posted this photo.

The plant on the right was my dad's and the plant on the left was a division I'd taken from it a year or so previously. He asked me to plant sit for the summer and see if I could perk his plant up too. These are now the same plants...

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.

• Wow thats amazing! What was your 'perking up process' if you dont mind sharing your secrets? 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,437
    Well done!  I have those and the runty division that I took to work is now doing better than the ones at home (although they're not too bad).
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,552
    Wow thats amazing! What was your 'perking up process' if you dont mind sharing your secrets? 
    I flushed the soil through with rain water a few times and then repotted it and removed any of the old loose soil. I used a slightly more moisture retentive soil with a few slow release feed granules. Way under the recommended dose as they don't like too much fertiliser. It's been sat on a fairly dim, north facing windowsill and watered by sitting it in a bowl of rain water once a week. I try to mist them daily but they're not too fussy about that. When we've had warm enough rain they've gone outside for a rinse off too. Kept moist and out of the sun they seem to thrive. I get a few brown leaves but it grows so fast that I can just keep removing them. The main thing is not to use tap water as they're sensitive to the chemicals.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • cassie.a.stewartcassie.a.stewart Posts: 279
    edited August 2019
    Wow thats amazing! What was your 'perking up process' if you dont mind sharing your secrets? 
    I flushed the soil through with rain water a few times and then repotted it and removed any of the old loose soil. I used a slightly more moisture retentive soil with a few slow release feed granules. Way under the recommended dose as they don't like too much fertiliser. It's been sat on a fairly dim, north facing windowsill and watered by sitting it in a bowl of rain water once a week. I try to mist them daily but they're not too fussy about that. When we've had warm enough rain they've gone outside for a rinse off too. Kept moist and out of the sun they seem to thrive. I get a few brown leaves but it grows so fast that I can just keep removing them. The main thing is not to use tap water as they're sensitive to the chemicals.
    Brilliant thanks for sharing! You should be very proud.