Forum home Tools and techniques

Hand fork

HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
Well my old faithful hand fork, passed down to me from my mother, has just bitten the dust. I went into local garden centre and the only ones they had looked as if they would struggle to last 10 minutes.

Do you have one you would recommend?

(As a reminder, my OH recently broke my felco 7’s, so it has to be tough as he is not gentle with tools). 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,627
    I’ve seen them in the shops, I’ve stroked them, when nobody’s looking, and marvelled at the price tag, but I’ve never had the guts to buy one...

https://www.sneeboer.com/en/hand-weeding-fork.html

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,292
    That does look good and sturdy.   I have a Sneeboer trowel bought as a birthday present.  It's great.

I used to go thru hand forks quite rapidly too until I treated myself to one with a wooden handle and cylindrical, stainless steel tines.  It's very good in clay and loam and, so far, the tines haven't bent which always happens to my flat tined forks.  I'm afraid I don't know what brand it is.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    £200+ for a titanium handfork!  My god!  I was sort of thinking that perhaps I'd stretch to something like £20 as I want a fork that might last....
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 574
    I always use a different type, apparently called weeding fork, I find it very effective, e.g. such as this: