Forum home Tools and techniques

Garden hose male to female fitting

female to male garden hose fittings leak after short time use ends in substantial leak between the male and female joint not from the female hose connection where its connected to the hose.  why?  Spray has on/off tap and sometimes the hose pops off even with new female fitting.
  My personal view of these fittings is   Cabbage , Radish, Artichoke, Pea.

Many thanks Bob

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,065
    Which brand and which materials? I have a mix of these and don't have too many problems. The first thing to check is always make sure everything is clean and tight. Water under pressure always takes the path of least resistance so any debris which compromises a seal will allow a leak. Always make sure that hoses are properly seated in each fitting and renew the connection every year by trimming back the hose to allow a fresh section to form the compression seal in the connector.

Sometimes though no matter how much care you take some connectors just leak. Bin them and get a better one.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,358
    Also make sure the washer/o-ring thingies are still sound.
  • steephill said:
    Which brand and which materials? I have a mix of these and don't have too many problems. The first thing to check is always make sure everything is clean and tight. Water under pressure always takes the path of least resistance so any debris which compromises a seal will allow a leak. Always make sure that hoses are properly seated in each fitting and renew the connection every year by trimming back the hose to allow a fresh section to form the compression seal in the connector.

Sometimes though no matter how much care you take some connectors just leak. Bin them and get a better one.
    I buy what is supposed to be quality  'Hozelock'   Every female hose to tool fitting I have bought over time has leaked from the female fitting. I have 'Hozelock'  small twist on off spray that leaks.   The hose  and fittings are 'Hozelock' the spray with brass male pushfit  and on/off tap fits but leaks between the two fittings.   If I use the tap on the fitting the hose blows out of the 'Hozelock' female fitting.   Only buy 'Hozelock' as others leak and its easier to get to B&Q. store.   

steephill said:

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    It's like playing with Lego. I spent ages getting the hozelock timer fitting up the right way onto the hose so the water actually comes out. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Hozelok is rubbish quality, so are the cheaper plastic fittings. If you can order brass fittings online from trade suppliers you're usually alright. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    I ditched all hozelock connectors. Gardenia works fine . No leaks.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • thanks will try them 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,213
    I bought a Gardenia one in a sale, and it's been better than all the others I've had, including the brass  ones.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....