Forum home Problem solving

What is this bug?

Hi all, hope all's well with you.

I need your assistance please.
I grow my cucumbers in pots with a wick into a water trough . 12 pots sit on top of the trough with a wicking material into the water reservoir below. Doing this the roots exit the hole in the bottom of the pot and basically sit in the water reservoir. 
Most of these plants are now spent and when I pulled them out, root ball and all, I found the critter below plus some of his mates perched on the root ball.

Apologises for the quality of the image but, I'm hoping someone might recognise it. In reality it actually looks darker than in the image but I used an image editor to sharpen the image which lightened the colour

Does anyone know what they are please?

Thank you for your assitance.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Looks like a rat-tailed maggot; the larvae of a hoverfly.
  • KiliKili Posts: 714
    Hi BobFlannigon, thanks for your help. As it was attached to the root ball would it damage the plant it was attached to?

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,207
    I believe hoverfly and their larvae consume aphids.  Friend, not foe.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,058
    Indeed, look after them and you will have hoverfly which both help pollination and consume aphids.  Neither maggot nor adult causes any harm to plants.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.