Forum home Garden design

Garden Fencing - Ideas and Colours

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    That's a very good idea @WillDB, and a very smart, contemporary look.
    I have a screen with vertical slats, but I have some horizontal ones above my boundary fence. Very inexpensive to do - just roofing battens  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    edited August 2019
    I think that’s genius @WillDB. It’ll look great 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• If anyone has any pictures, that would be great!! Like I say I am a complete novice.

Should I leave the back fence alone?

Also any advice on Evergreen plants for my sleepers would be greatly appreciated :-)
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,970
    If you look at the top of this fence, they've got the sort of timber slats we're talking about on top. Paint the fence first, then tack in your slats leaving a little gap between them, then paint the slats as well. There's a how-to guide here but you don't have to use their expensive red cedar slats if you're going to paint it anyway. https://www.silvatimber.co.uk/blog/how-to-construct-a-slatted-screen-fence

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    No - paint the slats before you attach them  ;)
    I dont have any photos of mine so can't offer much help just now. I also still have to put some on the other side to match the fence as it's double sided.
    Bear in mind that rough timber isn't like the finished stuff you'd use indoors, so it's more useful to use a spacer when attaching them, as they aren't always exact in shape. Keep the best pieces for the most visible sections too.  :)
    You could leave the back fence and then add slats if you think it would benefit it. 

Are you looking for just evergreens, or a mix of planting? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you all!

We actually received the artificial ivy and love the look of it so far - has one of the better reviews.

Now deciding on colours!

I have been looking at IG and internet all morning!

Silver Corpse for the fences and Urban Slate/Silver Birch/Dusky Gem for the shed...

Any advice on how to paint the fences too - any tips for minimal splashing? x
  • Or even some green for the shed.  Quoting Cuprinol colours....
  • And some grey for the ugly wall.

I would pin some slates on to the horrible fence but am sure they will complain that one of their leaves died..
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294
    Thank you all!

Silver Corpse for the fences and Urban Slate/Silver Birch/Dusky Gem for the shed...

I dread to think what silver corpse looks like, lol
    Devon.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    🤣🤣🤣

Sounds like a dead good plan!