Forum home Plants

cutting back oak tree

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Unless I've completely misunderstood, I think @andy855 wants to cut ten feet off each branch, not the top. 
    However, that needs experience, and as many have already said, you need to contact a proper tree surgeon.

Cutting 'bits' off won't help the tree in any way, aesthetically or otherwise, and may cause even more problems than it prevents. Pollarding would be the only thing that would be feasible IMHO,  but needs done correctly, as @steephill has already said. Anything less tha a proper professional could be a disaster, as @Silver surfer indicates.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,461
    edited August 2019
    We have an ash tree of a similar size ... it is in our garden but overhangs our neighbors to the rear and on one side. 

When we moved in we employed a qualified (and insured) arboriculturist to lift the crown and thin the crown by one third.

This ensured the tree remained healthy and still looked attractive while reducing the shade, wind resistance and reducing any negative effect on the gardens it overhangs. 

We we will repeat this in a few years’ time. 

Find a qualified arboriculturist and ask for advice. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    Sorry, but this thread is beginning to sound like the one posted a while ago, from the chap who was volunteering at a garden centre and was going on about being able to answer questions customers might ask about how plants took up water etc. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,461
    @Joy*  the person you refer to has been known on the forum for some time .., he is a gentleman who received traumatic life changing brain damage in an accident ... he is trying to make a positive contribution to society and improve his self esteem by working, with support, at a garden centre.
    Several of us, some with experience in the field of brain injury, do our best to answer his questions, remembering as we do so that a damaged brain may be limited in its cognitive ability and in how it learns and retains information. 

I dont see how his queries have relevance here 😕 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,823
    The oak tree next door is about that size. One branch used to overhang my garden. it has a TPO on it. I came home from work to find itinerants cutting off the main branch. When I screamed at them about the TPO they cleared off pretty quick. The owner at the time thought he was doing me a favour.  They left a branch about a foot thick and six foot long. It resprouted the following year, and ten years on matches the rest of the tree.  As others have said, get a Qulified and insured tree surgeon in. We have had people in who know what they were doing with the other oak. They took out four tons of dead wood, and you could hardly tell it had been done.  Just lopping off lumps will not give a nice shape tree.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,661
    TPO  = Tree preservation order.
    Just incase folk don't know .

I have a feeling we are just talking to ourselves.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,823
    I do that a lot.  Sometimes I call it talking to the cat. Except we don't have one.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,809
    Given he won't wear his hearing aid I have the chocie of talking to an unreceptive OH as well as the cats and dogs tho I get the feeling the critters do at least listen.  At least they purr or wag their tails in response.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    I do that a lot.  Sometimes I call it talking to the cat. Except we don't have one.
     :D 
    Let's at least give @andy855 the benefit of the doubt and see if he comes back ....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• andy855andy855 Posts: 5
    Hearing aid on.

Council have confirmed that there is no preservation order on the tree.

Please dont think i was thinking of cutting it down or climbing 50 ft ladder with chainsaw. I can see your passion and the advice giiven has been very usefull , thank you. I've googled read about all terms mentioned in above posts.

They said best thing for the tree is to do is nothing , but if at some point in the future i must , bearing in mind it hangs over neighbours gardens , just to do targeted pruning.
    They gave me links to certified arborists and getting a 'visual tree assesment' would seem first step if anything is done at all. 

thanks again for the good advice given.