Cats 🐈

So , my garden facelift is almost at an end 😀 . I’m just sitting with a cuppa admiring my planting efforts when one of my cats rocks up & pleased to see that his toilet has been reinstated promptly answers the call of nature 😡. I was thinking about putting a thick layer of bark over the border but was told that they love that . Is that right ? Does anyone have any top tips to deter my two furry friends from using my lovely new border as a litter tray ? Many thanks x

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,108
    edited 27 August
    Get them an indoor litter tray!   The ones with lids are very tidy and stop litter going all over the place and you can get biodegradable litter that can go on the compost heap once you've removed the lumpy bits.

Or make one outside in a quiet corner and keep it cleaned.  

The added benefit is that they'll be less likely to take their doings to the neighbours so win-win all round.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    If I'm honest, it's quite gratifying to hear of cats doing their business in their own gardens rather than using the neighbours as giant litter trays.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,285
    KT53 said:
    If I'm honest, it's quite gratifying to hear of cats doing their business in their own gardens rather than using the neighbours as giant litter trays.
    Many people use that old excuse of 'oh you can't train them' usually followed by a dismissive laugh.
    It's b***ocks. When I had cats, mine both cr***ed in my garden, or used their tray. If other folk  did the same, life would be so much more pleasant. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Tayside2Tayside2 Posts: 12
    I can’t be doing with going back to a litter tray in the house 🤢 but I have noticed that one of mine has been sleeping in the garage during the renovation & that has a door which opens directly onto the new courtyard so I’m thinking that my solution lies with a litter tray in the garage . Let’s hope my neighbours don’t train their cats to use that !!
    Thank you for your input x
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296
    Tayside2 said:
     Let’s hope my neighbours don’t train their cats to use that !!

The overwhelming majority of cat owners don't train their cats, they just let them out and couldn't give a toss where they sh*t.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,285
    The ones round here let them out at all hours of the day and night too @Hostafan1.
    I can't see the point of having them at all if that's the case. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,559
    edited 31 August
    I always though cats were fairly untrainable. If you got them house trained that was the best you can do. Then I trained the neighbours cat to shake a paw like a dog. :D
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 331
    Our cat gives High-fives 😂 A very cool boy indeed 😂😂
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,559
    edited 31 August

You will note he does this on his terms. No chicken, no paw.
     T'other half thinks it is the cat  training me.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 707
    Crap, shit

... we all know the words so I am just seeing what happens if I drop the coy asterisks.