Forum home Problem solving

Rowan tree yellowing

capvid25capvid25 Posts: 16
edited August 2019 in Problem solving
Hi, the leaves of my Rowan tree are starting to yellow and have brown spots all over (see photo below). I don’t know how old it is but it’s a maximum of six years. 

Anyone know what’s causing this and if I should worry? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    It might be dry. They like plenty of moisture. Is it close to other planting?
    Many trees/shrubs are suffering again this year.

However, it's also perfectly normal for them to be turning if you're further north.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mine is doing the same, not sure how old it is, I bought and planted it this spring, it’s pot grown and about 5foot tall, I’m new to gardening so I wondered if it was part of the season changes as I’ve only noticed it within the last 2 weeks, we’ve had a lot of rain so shouldn’t be dry, any advice or reassurance would be welcome, I don’t want it to die.

Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    Any shrub or tree that only went in the ground in spring needs watering regularly all thru its first growing season or it will struggle to establish, especially if you get hot spells and/or dry spells.  Anything in pots need regular watering, especially in hot, dry spells and also some liquid feed now and again as the planting compost only has nutrients for 90 days or so.

I suggest giving your rowan a good drink of at least 10 litres, poured slowly so it soaks in.   Repeat at least once a week till you get some decent rain.  It is September so leaves will be turning as they shut down for winter and then fall off but I'd err on the side of caution and water anyway.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Should I stop watering over winter, if so when and when should I restart , thanks
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Unless you're somewhere very dry, it shouldn't need anything over winter.  :)
    In spring, just a general slow release feed, and a mulch before the ground/conditions dry up is all that it should need. Adding compost etc over winter/early spring is always useful, but not essential. Once it's well established it should be fine.
    In very dry areas of the country, or areas with more alkaline soil,  they don't thrive terribly well, especially the native one. You have to grow according to your conditions  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....