Self -sufficiency

B3B3 Posts: 10,002
Does anyone know what foodstuffs we are self-sufficient in?
 I'm assuming potatoes, even though we are partial to Cyprus spuds betimes.
Maybe apples if we were more interested in taste than aesthetics.
I assume we have enough disused mines to satisfy the need for mushrooms.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,108
    You might get a bit bored with potatoes B3.

Have a read of this - https://www.countryfile.com/news/can-the-uk-feed-itself-after-brexit/ 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 535
    I believe that part of the issue is that the our tastes are narrow, so for example we could be self sufficient in meat if we ate all of it - but we export a lots of the bits and import the more expensive cuts.   If we cook our own potatoes then fine, but we insist on eating processed potatoes that we import.  

Milk and flour are ok, but fruit and veg would need a sea change in taste.  Sugar we’d have to swap to sugar beet rather than sugar from sugar cane.  So possible, but hard! 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,856
    So much of the problem about self sufficiency arises from our expectations.

We expect to go to the shops and see, for example, red and green peppers on any day of the year.  But I never saw a pepper, be it red or green, until I was 18 and left home to go to live in Edinburgh. Peppers simply did not exist in what is now called South Yorkshire. And the only shop that sold them in Edinburgh was a very high class, extremely expensive shop on Princes Street. The sort of shop where one’s cook was sent to buy the groceries. The peppers were displayed in the window, maybe three or four of them, on a fine china plate.

The other problem is quality. I grow a fair number of fruit and vegetables in the garden. Not one plum this year is in perfect condition. A lot have had to be chopped up and sorted out because of peck marks that have led to rot. The apples have scab and capsid bug deformities. The tomatoes range from very small to small. The plums, the apples, the tomatoes will all be eaten. Yet who would be prepared to buy them?

As for the idea of The Good Life style of self sufficiency, I tried it in my 20s.  Between the pigeons, the slugs, the rabbits, the wasps, the rot and the weather, we were lucky to have anything to eat at all most days.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,245
    pansyface said:
    As for the idea of The Good Life style of self sufficiency, I tried it in my 20s.  Between the pigeons, the slugs, the rabbits, the wasps, the rot and the weather, we were lucky to have anything to eat at all most days.

I can get behind the rabbits and pigeons but you're on your own eating slugs and wasps :# 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,072
    "So much of the problem about self sufficiency arises from our expectations."

Rationing was in force when I was a child.  We ate fruit and vegetables according to the season and got a tangerine as a treat at Christmas. A chicken was for Christmas and eggs were preserved in isinglass. 
    SW Scotland
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,856
    W.E.😊

Joyce, I remember isinglass. Made from whales’ stomach contents or something, wasn’t it? Weird stuff.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,002
    It sounds as if ,for a while at least, some foods that we take for granted or have even become bored with may come treats.
    When you consider that some plant growers were unwilling this year to export to the UK this year, it's a worry that some food exporters will prefer to sell their product elsewhere rather than risk them rotting  at our ports. We will then be at the mercy of whatever country wants to offload produce that they were unable to sell elsewhere.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,072
    It was weird stuff Pansy. A form of collagen.  The barrel with the eggs was kept under the stairs.
     Luckily the salted herring was bought from a barrel outside the grocer's
    SW Scotland
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,907
    I remember my parents using Isinglass to store a glut of eggs, when the valley where my uncle had his smallholding had suspected foul pest & he could not sell his eggs for a while. 
    On self sufficiency yes it's much harder than the TV programs would have you believe, mind you @pansyface I am growing sweet peppers myself now, & I have lemon trees in pots on the patio now we have a Mediterranean climate here in the south. 
    AB Still learning

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,559
    Isinglass is made from fish stomachs.  (Not whales which are mammals)
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3