Forum home Problem solving

Sad beech

We planted a bareroot beech tree in March. It had never really looked happy and has now lost its leaves and is covered in orange spots. Any ideas what it is? I assume the tree is lost, any risk to other trees? If I replace it should I be using something different to beech?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I’m afraid that does not look good. I reckon that’s Coral Spot all over the trunk. Usually an indication that the area affected has died back. Let’s see if other forum members have a different opinion.

I’m assuming it’s just this particular one? If that’s the case, you should just remove it and start again. 

Prepare the soil well and if you are growing into an area where it’s grassland, make sure you remove all the top layer of grass to ensure your shrubs have the best possible start. Pile on a thick layer of compost or bark chip to keep the base cool and damp. Water thoroughly throughout the first few years. The shrubs will not have enough roots to search for water.

Beech trees need free draining soil, so this is especially important in the early years, so if the soil is heavy, spend time to break it down and mix in some grit to help with drainage.
  • Thanks. I did prepare it with compost, dug over and then mulched the top. However, it is clay soil underneath so perhaps it just got too waterlogged. I will ponder on what to replace it with, and whether I can get a beech in somewhere else. I just love sitting looking up at beech leaves; they are such a beautiful colour.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    If you like the look of beech, you could try hornbeam instead. Very similar but will withstand wet ground far better  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,978
    edited August 2019
    Too much compost in the planting hole might lead to it getting sodden and going sour, if the surrounding soil is clay. Hornbeam would be better but if you're dead set on Beech, try planting it on a high spot or create a mound, so the roots are clear of wet ground.