Forum home Garden design

Planting between Verbena bonariensis

I've a group of 5 Verbena bonariensis flowering in a narrow clay border, grown from seed this year (so, young plants). They look good at the top, where the flowers are, but a bit bare below between the long stems. And some bare soil between them. Does anyone have any suggestions  for interplanting? I prefer plants for pollinators than, say, grasses. I quite like the idea of Geum Totally Tangerine - would it do ok between the VB (VB is spaced at the 45cm recommended on packet). Thanks for any thoughts and ideas 

• B3B3 Posts: 18,672
    The colours would work well. Mine grew with self seeded purple toadflax this year and the colour would be similar
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,713
    I think that would work but I would mix up the geums, any orange or yellow would look good! 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,476
    I get VB popping up all over my garden, Some combinations that look good to me are with Dahlia Bishops Children (from seed) - the dark leaves and vibrant colours of the dahlias go very well with the VB and the dahlias reach 5-6ft in year 2 so similar heights.
    Heliopsis Summer Nights (from seed) work very well as they are also similar heights.
    They also look good with Stipa Gigantea 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,672
    edited August 2019
    And fennel and cosmos
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,024
    Geum Totally Tangerine can quite often not be a reliable flowerer and not give you flowers throughout the summer. I would go for some dark purple heucheras. Then at least you would have something of interest all year round. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,950
    Geraniums work, e.g. Rozanne. Being low they are a visual contrast, and will spill out between the plants to hide their bases. I think Nepeta would do a similar job. I cram V. bonariensis right in among other stuff, it seems to tolerate being crowded quite well. 
  • Thanks for all the helpful thoughts; some great tips & ideas
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,076
    I have Heleniums in amongst mine, plus Crocosmia, and I'm about to put some dark red and orange Yarrows [Achillea] in as well. There's Allium sphaerocephalon in there too, and a Ligularia [ Britt Marie Crawford] which has plum foliage and gold flowers. I have lots of species tulips in the bed for spring, and dark red lilies etc. 

Purple and orange work very well together, but it does depend on the look you're wanting.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....