Rowan tree looking sickly

My Rowan tree was planted 2 years ago. This season it started out looking healthy with lots of blossom and then lots of berries. Over the last week or so the leaves are yellowing and although it’s still hanging on to its berries it doesn’t look too good . I have another planted at the same time that is still lovely and green . I have watered and mulched both trees the same . Any advice would be welcomed . Thanks Jane .

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,228
    Have you got some photos @Jane.waller58 ?
    That will help with any advice. 
    More info would be good too - what else is around/near it, including walls, fences etc. Were the roots healthy on planting - ie not pot bound? Any obvious damage to a trunk/branch?
    Sometimes a tree will go into autumn mode earlier than another tree anyway. They don't necessarily go dormant at exactly the same time  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The tree was healthy when we planted it . Our soil is not the best we do have quite a bit of clay . We have kept it watered during the hot summer last year and are working on improving the soil by adding compost . I haven’t noticed any kind of bugs or the like . The only thing I thought of was we have had lots of wind but we staked all the trees we planted . The garden is a new garden only been here 3 years and starting from scratch . anted
  • This is the other tree looking healthy they’re planted approx 10 feet apart 
    Is that a laurel planted beside/near it? There could simply be a bit of competition for moisture.
    Clay soil is absolutely fine, so no worries there. They look quite well sized trees, so you've done well to get them established. I don't think there's much to worry about to be honest. It may simply be getting less water than the other.

They love plenty of rain, so keeping them well watered, and adding a mulch of well rotted manure or bark will help retain moisture. You may find that one will always be slow to get going, and quicker to wind down though. 

• Thank you for your advice . It’s a Red Robin planted to its right so maybe I should think about moving that at the right time. Will keep up with the watering and hold thumbs that it’s ok . Thanks again Jane .
    Ah - I did wonder because of the stems, but yes, it may simply be down to that being a bit 'adjacent' .   ;)