Redesign thoughts

WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,780
edited 25 August in Garden design
Any thoughts most welcome!

I'm going a bit nuts with indecision about the garden. The bed on the right is far too narrow and there's limited planting space in general. I like grasses and perennials, and the bed at the end of the lawn is bursting at the seams. I really want planting along the left hand fence, and climbers, so have already begun breaking up the concrete path. 

I could just increase the size of the end bed and right hand border. This means I can keep a handkerchief of lawn, with stepping stones as a path. 

But if I got rid of the lawn I could break the space up and have a small sitting area. This would create big planting areas each side and the idea of sitting surrounded by plants either side is quite nice. 

If the sitting area goes the full width of the garden I don't think it would be too claustrophobic. Bench, set back, rather than furniture taking up space in the middle. There could be a little water feature e.g. a corten bowl. My greyhound would enjoy drinking from that!

But then I scroll back and look at the reasonably large, freshly mown lawn as it is now, and wonder if I'm going to make my garden feel too pokey? It does look good when it's just been cut! 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,933
    I like the bottom design and especially the offset path. Only you can decide whether to keep the lawn or not!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,993
    I would widen the border on the right.
    Leave the border at the bottom.
    Put a fairly short border at the top on the left, but make it quite wide.
    Then you can have a dog leg path, from edge of border on the left.
    I think it will give you more planting space and a bit of mystery, as you will not be able to see straight to the bottom of the garden from everywhere.
    Hope this makes some sort of sense.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,780
    edited 25 August
    Thanks punkdoc... when I draw it up, it becomes apparent that the dog leg path creates a narrow area which I think would be better planted up - unless I misinterpreted what you said

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,780
    edited 25 August
    I laid out my spare slabs earlier to get a preview of the stepping stone idea... it would certainly be cheaper than my second idea... and it would be adaptable if I decided to go with that option in the future

Think there should be a low hedge across the full width where the row of pots are, path to dog leg behind that, then there'll be a couple of steps down to the shed area

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,993

This was sort of what I had in mind.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand