Is this pumpkin a goner?

HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 226
Went to rotate this pumpkin-the largest of the bunch-today and discovered a couple holes and two slugs on the bottom.
Pulled it out and set it in the sun. Do you think it will scab over or should we eat it tomorrow?
Going to pick up some coffee grounds to scatter around the other growing pumpkins. Any suggestions for additional deterrents?

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 535
    Rotate pumpkins? Does that mean you’ve harvested them already?  

Are your pumpkins sat on old tiles or similar? As that actually looks more like physical damage that the slugs are taking advantage of..

You can swab it with an antiseptic wipe to slow the progress of decay a bit, but that pumpkin won’t store so eat fairly quickly. 
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 226
    Thank you Helix
    The damage couldn't be from any inanimate objects. It is just on garden soil with a bit of decomposing bark mulch scattered around. It was the side sheltered by pumpkin leaves with strawberry plants in behind. My suspicion is that it was too much of a temptation for something, just not sure what yet.
    I cut it off when I saw the depth of the hole. They were from volunteers in the compost from last years moldy pumpkin. When I spread out the compost on the veg garden this year they self sowed everywhere.
    All of the ones we planted didn't get out until mid-July. It is a shame though, as it looks like this is the largest one we have. I would have liked to have given it away.
    It will not go to waste though.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 535
    If I leave mine on soil I find some of the young pumpkins get rot, but on tiles they're fine.  And once a bit older the slug use them for downhill skiing without damage. 

But since a freebie it will be enjoyable no matter what! 
    And another one bites the dust :(

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 468
    Hello @HouseFinch, I was interested to see what might be causing these holes. I came across this and wondered if it could be this or something similar, you maybe too far north?
    ogle.com/search?q=diaphania+nitidalis&rlz=1C1CHMO_enFR586FR586&oq=diaphania&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.9772j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    I checked the other pumpkins last night, and found a slug with it's mouth attached to a third one. Pretty sure they just stubbornly suck on it until it disintegrates.
    Put sawdust around the remaining orange pumpkins, but it looks like yet another will need harvesting. They seem to go after them when they start to get ripe.
    Too bad. I hoped they were as impervious as Helix's ski hills. :( Means I need to find some protection for the front garden.