Peach Tree

m_j_millsm_j_mills Milnrow LancPosts: 3
Hi all, first time on this forum. Last year i and my wife had a peach and i NOT being a gardener decided to have a go at planting the seeds. 1 popped its clogs but the other has flourished to appx 3 feet high and the same across. I know absolutely Nothing about growing plants. The best i have ever done is to cut the lawn. Now i have retired i may get a little more interested, but how do i care for this peach tree, some say to prune it, some say to leave it alone but i do not have a clue. If i were to prune it i wouldn't know where to cut it or how much. At the moment it is on my decking in a pot appx 15" Dia. I dont know if i should plant it or leave it in the pot. Please help with simplified answers. Thank you Mike

• I hope you will not be disappointed if your tree bears fruit completely different to the ones you ate. Growing fruit trees from stones rarely make the same fruit as most of them are cross breed varieties. However, it is fun to try. My grandmother grew a peach tree from a stone and the resulting fruit were wonderful. They need to be grown in a conservatory or on a South facing wall/fence as they need plenty of heat. Fan trained on wires for the sun to reach all of the fruit. There is one disease which they all seem to suffer from if not treated, Peach leaf curl. Bright red blisters appear on the leaves which soon fall off. It will only take a year or two of that to kill the whole tree. Peaches are manna from heaven for wasps who begin eating them just before they are ripe so draping fleece over the tree is essential if grown outdoors.
    Good luck.

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    If it is only in its first year, I wouldn't prune it yet.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,273
    A handy little book if you can find it is "The Pip Book" by Keith Mossman, published by Penguin.  He tells you all about growing plants from the seeds you'd normally discard in the kitchen.
  • m_j_millsm_j_mills Milnrow LancPosts: 3
    Hi josusa47  thank you for that, i will have a peek around and see if i can locate a copy. 
  • m_j_millsm_j_mills Milnrow LancPosts: 3
    I hope you will not be disappointed if your tree bears fruit completely different to the ones you ate. Growing fruit trees from stones rarely make the same fruit as most of them are cross breed varieties. However, it is fun to try. My grandmother grew a peach tree from a stone and the resulting fruit were wonderful. They need to be grown in a conservatory or on a South facing wall/fence as they need plenty of heat. Fan trained on wires for the sun to reach all of the fruit. There is one disease which they all seem to suffer from if not treated, Peach leaf curl. Bright red blisters appear on the leaves which soon fall off. It will only take a year or two of that to kill the whole tree. Peaches are manna from heaven for wasps who begin eating them just before they are ripe so draping fleece over the tree is essential if grown outdoors.
    Good luck.

Hi Joyce thank you for your post, actually i don't really mind if the tree never produces fruit. It would just be nice to say "i grew that from a pip" the tree has got really nice healthy looking leafage and i would imagine that in a couple of years it will look quite attractive. At the moment the tree is outside on my decking which is South facing, but i suppose maybe i will have to protect it during the coming cold spell, i live on a hill and it gets quite cold and windy here. I think maybe its time for me to get some literature on the subject and take it from there. Thanks again, regards Mike