Fickle fig tree?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,538
    edited 24 August
    Santy said:
    No, not at all.  I'm over in Lowestoft.  The tree came from Urban Jungle :) 

I think I'll battle it tomorrow and add some grit to the mixture to see if that helps
    Love Urban Jungle ... family are down in Suffolk so I’m driving through Beccles all the time. 

Lowestoft’s great ... shame it’s been so neglected ... it was in line for a load of EU money but  😢 ...

Did you go to the First Light Festival on the beach?  Son was there as he’s a sound/production chap. He said it was really good, especially the way the musicians responded to the sunrise 😎  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SantySanty East Anglia, UKPosts: 24
    My problem here is that my garden is south-west facing and there isn't really anywhere I can hide it up a bit without it being in the way of things...  Didn't realise they required quite so much water so I'll step it right up and see how that helps.  The problem was that I was reading online that they are easily over-watered too so thought I could have been doing that.  It's difficult to tell!
    If it’s got lots of grit and you raise the pot up so the drainage holes are clear it’ll be difficult to over water it 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 431
    That looks like a big pot...but would probably go a size bigger. At least figs like to be a bit pot bound so leave it alone for a while yet. But as @B3 mentioned better to get a location where it is in partial sun. A tree that size must be 15 years old..not even going to ask how much it cost! 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,821
    Hi Santy,
    I have fig trees all over the place, all in pots, and I would never put one in a pot like yours.
    There are two reasons for this. 1) for some reason I find that my plants never do well in glazed pots, probably due to the one drainage hole at the base which tends to mean plants get a bit waterlogged and 2) When we get stormy weather, pots with narrow bases can be dragged over by the weight of the plant resulting in a smashed pot and the need to find another container at once.
    I know fig trees are supposed to be starved of room so that they don't run amok and produce leaves to the exclusion of fruit but I would prefer to see your fig tree in a slightly larger planter, preferably with a wider base. It's a good idea to raise the pot up on feet (or bricks) as figs do not like to get waterlogged which can happen in the colder, winter months.
    To be honest, your fig tree isn't looking too healthy but this is the time of year to take cuttings.....they root very well in very wet vermiculite.....the one time when waterlogging seems to suit a fig. A bit of shade might help your plant, especially this weekend as the temperature is due to be quite high, and maybe try to shield it from coastal winds.

Did you go to the First Light Festival on the beach?  

We did and it was a really good event.  Just what Lowestoft needed to bring some tourists back here because it certainly has been neglected since the airshow vanished.
    A tree that size must be 15 years old..not even going to ask how much it cost! 

It was a "bargain" price of £100 when it was on sale.  Unfortunately that was the cheapest plant I bought that day because the mature olive tree I bought at the same time almost gave me heart palpitations when I had to make the payment  :D
    Ceres said:
    Hi Santy,
    I have fig trees all over the place, all in pots, and I would never put one in a pot like yours.
    There are two reasons for this. 1) for some reason I find that my plants never do well in glazed pots, probably due to the one drainage hole at the base which tends to mean plants get a bit waterlogged and 2) When we get stormy weather, pots with narrow bases can be dragged over by the weight of the plant resulting in a smashed pot and the need to find another container at once.
    I know fig trees are supposed to be starved of room so that they don't run amok and produce leaves to the exclusion of fruit but I would prefer to see your fig tree in a slightly larger planter, preferably with a wider base. It's a good idea to raise the pot up on feet (or bricks) as figs do not like to get waterlogged which can happen in the colder, winter months.
    To be honest, your fig tree isn't looking too healthy but this is the time of year to take cuttings.....they root very well in very wet vermiculite.....the one time when waterlogging seems to suit a fig. A bit of shade might help your plant, especially this weekend as the temperature is due to be quite high, and maybe try to shield it from coastal winds.

It's not really visible on the photos but the pot is sitting on EPDM rubber feet to keep it from waterlogging and the drainage is reasonably good to be fair.  It's also extremely heavy and has been able to withstand some very strong winds already since being put in place.  It was a concern when we first bought it but I'm quite confident that it'll stay put through almost any weather...  Hopefully!
    edited 24 August
    I think that if you up the watering and give it some tomato feed it’ll produce new leaves and some more figs so you’ll have the tiny fruit you need to overwinter and ripen next year. 😊 

Glad you enjoyed First Light ... I’ll tell my son ... he worked his socks off
    cos some techies overslept and he was doing his job and theirs, at 2:30 in the morning after working since midday ... he wasn’t impressed with them ... but he said the gig went really well 😎 

• B3B3 Posts: 10,225
    I got mine in lidl. For £1.99
    In London. Keen but lazy.