Choisya drooping help

Hi,

I bought a beautiful established plant and it was very happy all summer in a pot in full sun until I decided where to put it. Recently I noticed that it was drooping and looking limp despite being well-watered. I’ve planted it out now in partial shade and it’s getting very dry and crispy. I did pull 3 bag-like caterpillars off it but the leaf damage is minimal. Can anyone help? What could be causing its unhappiness? 

Thanks

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 308
    Have you checked the roots for damage? You may have vine weevil grubs in the compost.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • No - no I haven’t. But that sounds plausible. It was really happy for a time but it’s not taking up water- despite being watered regularly. I’ll check the roots. What can I do if it is vine weevil? Thanks
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 498
    You can either buy a special Nematode online, or a liquid insecticide from most garden centres.  We avoid putting plants that Vine Weevil like in pots, as the adult beetles prefer to lay their eggs in pots rather than the soil.  If it is Weevil, then once you have gotten rid of them, why not consider planting it in the ground.  Choisya want to become quite large shrubs, so not the most ideal plants for pots.
  • Thanks. I had actually planted it out but it continues to decline. I checked the roots but they look fine - can’t see damage though I’m not sure what I’m looking for. No real signs of leaves being eaten. I popped some of the yellow balls and blue stuff came out which I assume is fertiliser. Bit stumped really. Have put it in the sun for a minute.
  • Drooping....
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,166
    It's tough looking after a shrub that size in a small pot, and keeping it in full sun. Apart from the suggestion of checking for Vine Weevil (pale cream grub-like creatures within the soil in your pot) that can eat the roots, I suspect that keeping that shrub in full sun and watering will still be tough.

It's possible that you may have missed watering or not watered enough for even a day or so, and that is enough for it to suffer. I have lost grasses last year and many plants in the past just due to not watering enough.

If the leaves have turned crispy, they will not revive. You can try pruning some of it back and keep up with the watering to see if new leaves form soon.