Forum home Problem solving

Forest Pansy Buds Opening?

Hi everyone! Could anybody please tell me if they think these buds on my Forest Pansy are starting to open? I thought I was losing him earlier this year so I’m so excited! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited August 2019
    They could be new buds forming, but very early to tell. You need to be patient. Have you tried scraping another section of the bark/twig to see if there is green underneath? If the branches feel stiff and brittle, then it's gone. If there is some give on smaller branches, there is possible life in it.

If newly planted the last year or so, it's important to keep it well watered especially in the summer months. Buckets full of them every 3-4 days in hot weather. Did you have leaves and they have dropped prematurely? That can happen when trees are under stress, usually due to lack of water, or excess wind.
  • gootzagootza Posts: 20
    They could be new buds forming, but very early to tell. You need to be patient. Have you tried scraping another section of the bark/twig to see if there is green underneath? If the branches feel stiff and brittle, then it's gone. If there is some give on smaller branches, there is possible life in it.

If newly planted the last year or so, it's important to keep it well watered especially in the summer months. Buckets full of them every 3-4 days in hot weather. Did you have leaves and they have dropped prematurely? That can happen when trees are under stress, usually due to lack of water, or excess wind.
    Hi! Thank you for your response. I forgot to mention in from Australia so just over a week until Spring. 

The tree definitely doesn’t feel stiff so that’s a good sign! Here is a link to the problem I had earlier this year, turns out I had planted him too deep in the soil and I think maybe the tree was suffocating, causing the problems. https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1026173/forest-pansy-looking-sad/p1

Thanks for the info. Just be patient and wait. Hopefully, you will see buds forming soon. These trees can sometimes be quite late into bud too. Good luck with it, I saw the previous thread link, and it does seem like you may have saved it just in time. 
    Yes I did read that! thank you! We’ll see how he goes. They don’t actually flower for a few years also is that correct? 
    I'm afraid I have no experience with this tree, but judging by the size of it in your last thread, it's got a fair few years yet before it will start to produce flowers. At this stage, your tree is just trying to settle in and getting its roots established.
    Did you have leaves and they have dropped prematurely? That can happen when trees are under stress, usually due to lack of water, or excess wind.
    No they didn’t surprisingly! They actually held on longer than I thought they would. 

Thank you for your advice 😊
  • We have life!!! I’m so excited!! 🥰🥰🥰

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,308
    Yay! 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    That’s very encouraging. Hope it flourishes this year...