‚Äļ

CURMUDGEONS' CORNER 4. I blame it on the eevil weevils ūüźú

• ObelixxObelixx Vend√©e, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    Not as much as Xmas muzak playing all day every day from October on in some places!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,538
    Wash your pointing finger/ thumbs out @Obelixx  X***?? The sedums arent even out yet!!!!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Some of mine are thinking about it!

I have a spot of occasional eczema or similar on my 3rd finger, right hand.  It does not like fresh tomatoes!!  Been cutting some up to make a big pot of passata.  Remind me to wear CSI gloves next time.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,737
    When we moved here in 2011 we found a large 20m x 3m shady area to be totally infested with vine weevils ... we did two applications of nematodes the following year and that worked like a dream ... we didn’t have any sign of them again until last summer so we applied nematodes again. No more problem.

It seems expensive to treat a large area but when you average if out over six years it‚Äôs very reasonable indeed and it worked ūüė䬆
    I still maintain my worry that the nematodes will wipe out more of the soil ecosystem than just vine weevil grubs. Before I resort to that I'm sticking to the manual removal plan for this year and see how things work out next season. If it's a repeat of the same thing then I might have to risk it.
    I thought the nematodes were pest specific.  In any case, the blurb says they're safe for children, pets and wildlife and use in organic gardening.   I'd give it a go and spend more time on something more fun/less frustrating - unless it's all a ploy to avoid potty training or bedtime bath and story.......
    The blurb usually says targets vine weevil larvae and other soil dwelling organisms or something like that. Certain species of nematodes are used for certain pests but the information on the side effects on soil health are pretty slim. Given the 'vine weevil specific' nematode was discovered in a sawfly larvae then I take that to mean it doesn't just target vine weevils.

I lost count after 10 tonight. Too distracted by the bad karaoke blaring out of a garden up the road. Bad enough and far away enough to be funny.

This product has no such caveat and is specially for adults - https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/vine-weevil-killer-nematodes/61-nematop-adult-vine-weevil-trap  They also do nematodes for the larval stage.

Has to be worth a try if only to save you from karaoke.   The person who invented that should have done us all a favour and stuck to kamikaze!

Touch wood and all that, but I've never had them so no personal experience and no links to the company either.
    It says 'safe for wildlife' while being sold specifically to kill wildlife so I take that with a pinch of salt. The nematode species it uses targets caterpillars and beetles in general so any of those that come near the gel will have a nematode full of deadly bacteria crawling up its anus in no time. :#
    Karaoke has finally finished but drunken revellers are winding their way home and falling noisily out of taxis outside. I'm still up with the baby anyway and I've just had to oil the rocking chair. WD40 was never on the lists of baby essentials.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    wild edges said: ;)
    Karaoke has finally finished but drunken revellers are winding their way home and falling noisily out of taxis outside. I'm still up with the baby anyway and I've just had to oil the rocking chair. WD40 was never on the lists of baby essentials.
    Ah - don't you just love hot bank holidays...  :D
    I think WD40 might be quite useful on small children - as long as you have a good grip on them.....
    I have slightly mixed feelings about the nematodes too, but I'm having my breakfast just now, so that picture you're painting isn't the ideal accompaniment ... :s
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....