Forum home Problem solving

dahlias

I have one Dahlia tuber that produces many different coloured flower heads,from almost all burgundy to white with a touch of burgundy and many mixes in between.
Any ideas on how this occurs.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    Have you a photo of this plant?
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567
    Nearly all garden dahlias are hybrids, a cross between different plants, which themselves may be crosses. It's also possible you may not have one tuber but two. It would only be possible to decide, as FB suggests, by looking at a photo. Think yourself lucky: you have two plants for the price of one. Do remember, however that dahlias are not reliably hardy in the UK, excpet in ths SW, so be be prepared to lift and store frost-free over winter. Good luck.
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • @jeffreyplantmail ... do you know what your dahlia is called, if it has a name, not all do?  There are some dahlias which are deliberately and irregularly blotchy such as Lancaster and York (red and white).  Secondly, some dahlia genetics are not particularly stable and can break down such that the original flower form and colour formation is no longer evident. I have one such example in my garden this year which most likely will be going in the bin at the end of the season.

More information such as how long you have had it and as mentioned above, a photo tells a thousand words.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,545
    Sounds like my favourite dahlia named Rebecca’s World 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    Hasn’t it been a super year for Dahlias so far, I’ve got some beauties. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn, My dahlias have been very poor so far, very few flowers on tubers I saved from last year.   I bought a pack of Apricot Star in Lidl in march and they are looking ok.
    On a side note went to Shugborough Hall Stately home and they have 2 huge beds full of plants that are flowering brilliantly.
  • Picture of my dahlias,these have never been lifted NE ENGLAND coastal,the cuttings exhibit the same characteristics. jeffreyplantmail