Hi does anybody know what this could possibly be? , thankyou for you help 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,300
    edited 22 August
    Caterpillar of Elephant hawk moth is my guess
    Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,862
    Yup.
    Lucky you.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1 said:

Many thanks, should I just put him back in the undergrowth and let him go on his way, have taken some great pictures, thanks again for all replies
  • pansyface said:
    Yup.
    Lucky you.😊
    Thankyou ☺️
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,636
    Many thanks, should I just put him back in the undergrowth and let him go on his way, 
    Hopefully you've put him back now Steve. He is a beauty. 
    I had a hummingbird hawk moth in the garden last week,  another beauty. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    Hostafan1 said:

Many thanks, should I just put him back in the undergrowth and let him go on his way, have taken some great pictures, thanks again for all replies
    Yes ... he’s looking for somewhere to pupate
    ... he knows what sort of place he’s looking for, so pop him back where you found him and edit to see the adults appear in your garden 😃 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,347
    I have a large shrub,  Eupatorium riesenchimirm. It is about 5ft and has huge flower heads  slightly fragrant pink flowers. This plant has huge flower heads and and I have never seen so many different insects on top of it . There are many  insects I have never seen before. Some  are walking over it. and popping up through the flowers.
    Its not easy to photo them if its breezy .They are certainly doing their job. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,772
    Eupatorium "Riesenchirm" is a superb plant (actually a herbaceous perennial but yep a pretty large one!)