Meadow and Guinea Pigs

Hello, i need some advice about the suitability of having a meadow area near my guinea pigs. I ll have a patch (currently mud!) which will be approx 1x2 metres next to my guinea pigs run. i would like to make this area into something suitable for wildlife like a mini meadow, however i am unsure if this size is enough and if there are any wildflower seeds safe for the pigs get chance to eat them.?

Thanks!

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,188
    Even a small area can be used for wild flowers to attract wildlife.
    Presumably you will wire the G Pigs pen off to stop them getting in to your new patch ?
    If you keep G Pigs, no doubt you will know what they eat and what they should avoid ?
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,591
    When we had Gpigs we made a wire covered frame that we could move easily and put the Gpigs and their house into it during good weather. They LOVED it and ate whatever was growing in the grass. They never came to any harm.
  • bgfloydbgfloyd Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply philippa, yes, they will not have access to that part as they will be in their run. However some plants may get close or self seed. 

It is hard to find comprehensive data on what they can and cannot eat, most advice is for fruit, vegetables and herbs. So I was hoping that someone would have more knowledge. I know they can eat cornflowers and chamomile flowers and dandelions as they have been included in forage mixes you can buy.

I don't want to risk thinking something is safe when it is not (or part of the plant is not). 
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 29
    You might find more info looking at theguineapigoforum.co.uk as I am sure it must be a question they’ve had asked before?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,188
    bgfloyd said:
    Thank you for your reply philippa, yes, they will not have access to that part as they will be in their run. However some plants may get close or self seed. 

It is hard to find comprehensive data on what they can and cannot eat, most advice is for fruit, vegetables and herbs. So I was hoping that someone would have more knowledge. I know they can eat cornflowers and chamomile flowers and dandelions as they have been included in forage mixes you can buy.

I don't want to risk thinking something is safe when it is not (or part of the plant is not). 
    I see your point about the self seeding into the GP's patch.
    As it is only a small patch you want to do then at least you have a start with the cornflower, chamomile and dandelions.
    Butterfly's suggestion of the GP forum, if you haven't already tried, would seem your best bet.  There must be an expert somewhere who could guide you.
    Hope you and the GP's enjoy the flowers next year :)
  • bgfloydbgfloyd Posts: 3
    Thank you for your replies, I have had some response on the guinea pig forum, some certainly are toxic, however I have had a reply on some meadow forage mixes that are suitable for rabbits/guinea pigs. Hopefully they will help with wildlife too :)