Jerusalem Sage Phlomis

Set this plant last Autumn. Has grown very badly and produced no flowers this year.
Thanks.
Maurice.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,317
    Did you sow from seeds?  It won’t flower until next year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,602
    It needs well drained , gritty soil in a sunny position. Where do you have it planted?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 29
    I had begun to wonder whether mine would ever do anything but finally two had flowers this year, which is year three. Two others have shown some better growth this year but still no flowers, but this is their second summer so have fingers crossed assuming they all just take time to get going.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Thanks so much to all.
    It was a plant in a pot when I bought it. I planted it in a sunny position but might need more grit. Was going to move it but might wait now.

Cheers.
     Maurice.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,317
    Mine are from sown seeds, they are in the shade, the front garden which faces north and shaded by the house, the soil isn’t very good, but they come up every year. 
    Are we talking about the same plant I wonder.? 
    This is a google picture as I’ve cut mine down to stop self seeding. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Yes we are talking about the same plant. Am glad your plant is blooming. 
    Thanks.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 330
    After all the rain we've had lately I moved my Phlomis to a better position last week and it looks much happier. Move your plant now if your soil is damp and work in sharp grit. The roots should get away well before the temperatures drop.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • That's great advice. It's rather dry where I set it. Very dry in Ireland these times. 

Many thanks.

Maurice.
  • When and how do you grow Phlomis from seed? I have some seeds but would like to get it right.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,606
    sow the seeds now and leave them over the winter and they'll germinate in Spring
    Devon.