Forum home Problem solving

Hardy fragrant plants for a holiday let property

We own a holiday let property and are looking for some hardy house plants to add some colour and fragrance to the rooms. Can anyone make any recommendations of something that doesn't need too much care but would tick the above boxes? We currently have yucca plants but they aren't doing too well and are going a bit brown. The soil is also going mouldy, can you recommend on how we can remedy this and save them?
Thanks in advance, Shirin

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    If there are sunny windowsills, maybe the scented-leaved pelargoniums. They need to be kept on the dry side.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Tricky list of requirements. Let us know about conditions, are those rooms bright enough to have plants in them? You can certainly get some fragrant indoor plants like gardenias but they will need care and they would have to be rotated when they go out of flower. An obvious choice would be some nice arrangements of succulents but they would require a bright environment. Soil in a pot going mouldy would signify a low light environment and excessive watering. Maybe post a picture of the yucca for more specific cultivation advice.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    I thought soil going mouldy in the pot might indicate that guests had tipped their tea/coffee dregs in there :s.
    Problem is, in a holiday let you have no control over what happens when you're not there. Plants could be overwatered by guests thinking they're being helpful. If you want fragrance I'd be inclined to go for something non-living, such as bowls of pot-pourri.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,548
    I wouldn't put scented anything into a holiday let.  I can't stand strong scents in a house and it would make my stay utterly miserable.