Forum home The potting shed

New Resolva 24H weedkiller ingredient.

13»

• GrumpymumGrumpymum Oxfordshire Posts: 66
    There are strict regulations on the labelling of chemical products,  covering what information must be included, size, position on the label, etc. 

When drawing up these regulations governments balance the need to provide information with the danger of over-labelling which could make people become overwhelmed if everything is labelled with lots of hazard information so that they ignore important safety warnings on the really nasty stuff. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,511
    So much of life and daily living at home, schoom, work and play would be much better/safer/healthier if people used common sense but, of course, we know that too many don't have any.

Garden chemicals for weeds and pests on sale in France are now kept behind locked glass doors and you need an assistant to get them.  I have lost track of the latest "official" position on glyphosate and have no idea what is currently available for weeds.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GrumpymumGrumpymum Oxfordshire Posts: 66
    I have lost track of the latest "official" position on glyphosate
    https://echa.europa.eu/hot-topics/glyphosate
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,511
    I'm in France.  They keep banning it then postponing the ban.  I've lost track.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 771
    At the moment they have postponed the ban in France, but of course they might change their minds again.
  • Hostafan1 said: 
    so anything which could you sick if ingested? shampoo? bars of soap ? furniture cleaners?  washing up liquid, all laundry products?most cosmetics will make you ill if you ingest them too. The list could go on forever.
    If you want all these products which could make you ill,  behind closed doors, presumably the cost of installing said doors and someone standing guard over them to make sure nobody opens them all have to be paid for . They'd have to be shoulder to shoulder in most aisles. All have to be paid for.
    So how much extra are you prepared to pay? 10% extra?, more than that? less than that?

Someone mentioned that the ingredients of a weedkiller were in extremely small print.
    The point I was trying to make ( obviously unsuccessfully ) was simply that if Tobacco related products could be covered in dire warnings large enough to read, why not do the same with other harmful products ?
    Whilst there can be few people unaware of the health risks of tobacco these days, it is obvious from a number of posts on this Forum that there are plenty of people who are unaware of the problems with using other toxic products whether domestic or garden related.  I'm simply questioning why the difference.
    I'm all for people taking responsibility for their lifestyles and their actions rather than people expecting government to do it for them. If someone decides to drink bleach, make a Rhubarb leaf sandwich,snort cocaine or cover themselves in Jif that would be entirely up to them.  The less obviously toxic stuff ( to personal health or the environment ) should be clearly labelled without having to resort to a magnifying glass. 
    Simply if you clearly label one toxic substance why not follow it through ?
    I don't have a "chemical phobia" - just dislike one unhealthy product being demonised over other unhealthy products. 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,013
    I agree!
    Just clear labelling.
    As I stated the 2 ingredients listed on the weedkiller were in different places on the label when they should have been together IMO.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • I agree!
    Just clear labelling.
    As I stated the 2 ingredients listed on the weedkiller were in different places on the label when they should have been together IMO.

Glad someone got the gist of my post ;)