New Resolva 24H weedkiller ingredient.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
I have just bought a bottle of Resolva 24H Weedkiller assuming it was Glyphosate as previously.
Read the label with a magnifying glass (why is pertinent information so small!) and see it contains 1,2-Benzisothiazol-3(2H)-One, Sodium Salt.
Does anyone know anything about this as all I can find is very technical information.
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,113
    edited 19 August
    All I could find and understand was a PDF document in French which indicates that it is present in household products and glue and paint as a preservative.  It is highly toxic if ingested, contact can cause skin rash and eye problems and it is noxious to aquatic organisms.

If you're using it as a herbicide be very careful about wearing protective clothing and don't use it anywhere near water.

Just found this, in English.  Not encouraging.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzisothiazolinone
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
    Obelixx said:
    All I could find and understand was a PDF document in French which indicates that it is present in household products and glue and paint as a preservative.  It is highly toxic if ingested, contact can cause skin rash and eye problems and it is noxious to aquatic organisms.

If you're using it as a herbicide be very careful about wearing protective clothing and don't use it anywhere near water.
    I am always very careful when using any sort of chemical in the garden and will take precautions as usual.Just had not heard of this one before! 
    I suspect it will go the way of glyphosate once enough people become ill.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    And the jury is still undecided on that!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/09/spray-pray-is-roundup-carcinogenic-monsanto-farmers-suing
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 488
    It still contains glyphosate.

As with any weedkiller, don't drink it. It's fine for it's intended use. No need for scaremongering. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,299
    Obelixx said:
    they still sell tobacco and that makes lots of people very very ill.
    Devon.

As with any weedkiller, don't drink it. It's fine for it's intended use. No need for scaremongering. 
    Indeed so.
    Devon.
    Well, TBH Hosta, I don't understand anyone who still smokes, let alone who starts to smoke now.   

As for weedkilllers in general and glyphosate in particular, there will always be lobbying for and against and the enviornmentalists are getting louder and better organised so yes, I expect this product to have the same sort of along with neo-nicitioids and so on.

I have used glyphosate, carefully and not Monsanto's, and will no doubt use other such products if I come across a weed I can't shift otherwise but I'd rather not.  
    Obelixx said:
    Well, TBH Hosta, I don't understand anyone who still smokes, let alone who starts to smoke now.   

As for weedkilllers in general and glyphosate in particular, there will always be lobbying for and against and the enviornmentalists are getting louder and better organised so yes, I expect this product to have the same sort of along with neo-nicitioids and so on.

I have used glyphosate, carefully and not Monsanto's, and will no doubt use other such products if I come across a weed I can't shift otherwise but I'd rather not.  
    If silly sods like the guy in usa are " regularly drenched" in glyphosate, you can hardly blame the manufacturer, nor the product . Do we ban all knives and blame the manufacturers when folk get stabbed? of course not.
    I'll carry on using glyphosate, carefully, and selectively  and in accordance with the instructions.
    Devon.

Just checked the bottle and it does indeed contain Glyphosate!
    The 2 chemicals are listed in different places and both in extremely small print.
    You would think that with any chemicals you would be able to find them listed easily on the bottle and easy to read.
    A bit like the warnings on cigarette packets.