Forum home Problem solving

Poor little fox.....

This morning I saw that a poor young fox had been knocked down and killed. It must have happened during the night. Now we know some people love them and some hate them. Well I love them, and it was in the middle of the road. Some on coming traffic was ironically swerving to miss it. I went out and carefully placed it away from further incident. And then I contacted my local council. Sadly their habitat is getting built on more and more, and we see them a lot more, even just walking a few feet in front of us sometimes. I did have a family of foxes living under our decking a few years ago. And watching the young cubs playing with each other was the most wonderful thing to see. No damage was made to our garden whatsoever, they cannot help where they may have to end up living and bringing up their young. This poor little one, did not even get the chance to reach old age. RIP little one. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,833
    That is so very sad Jacqueline. I almost dread going out in my car these days in case I may see beautiful creatures dead on the road.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,103
    Yup, round here, it’s badgers, even though the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust has been vaccinating them against TB for years, some plonkers still go out of their way to run them over.

I even saw a baby goldfinch run over, deliberately, on our quiet lane. I possible not to see it or avoid it.

And pheasants are a game bird but also provide a little game for local drivers. How many can you splat on the way home?

Human beings are weird.

Incidentally, you can help to prevent the Derbyshire badgers, who have already been vaccinated against TB at a cost to the British taxpayer of £82 each, from now being shot (to appease rural Tory voters), at a further cost to the British taxpayer of £6,000 each, by singing this petition.

https://www.derbyshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/news/urgent-10-days-save-derbyshire-badgers-cull

Thank you.

(sorry to have hijacked your thread, Jacqueline.)
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Praise to my local council, after reporting the poor fox to them, just after 10am this morning they came and removed it. They may not always get things right, but when they do it is gratefully appreciated. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,854
    Our foxy babies are a bit safer this year. The main road is closed due to someone setting fire to a van under the bridge. This means that the idiots don't roar up and down the road at 50mph, despite it being a 30 limit.  The cubs are getting through two tins of  dog meat a night, a couple of handfuls of bakers meaty meals scattered around the lawn, and the odd chicken carcase.  Then they dig holes in my lawn to show how grateful they are.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I saw one dead at the roadside here too, it looked like a young adult. It is such a shame to see this i must agree. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,103
    I don’t know about vaccinating the cattle. I only know about vaccinating badgers so that they can’t catch TB and pass it on to cattle.

The ridiculous thing is that the government is now considering shooting vaccinated badgers at a cost to the taxpayer of £6,000 per animal when the animal in question is incapable of giving TB to any living thing.  Why not shoot the cows? Just as crazy.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I'll give 'em poor little Fox!
    My wife went out to our back garden this morning and dispaired at the damage a fox, or foxes, had done to the work she had put in the previous day, potting up plants (some from mail order), putting a heavy double-glazed window frame on top of some compost, and putting chicken wire around it. As you can see by the photos, the bags of compost had been ripped open and clawed out, the heavy window frame was on the floor, and plants pulled out of their pots. The last photo shows the area after I did a tidy-up job on it. But what part of the garden will they strike tonight?

• I am sorry to hear that @ Mike Friday, all of your wife's hard work. We had a family of foxes under our decking about 6 years ago. Fortunately they did not damage anything in our garden. It was lovely to watch the little ones playing on the lawn. Then they eventually all left. It is sad that everywhere is getting built on now, and therefore, there habitat is being taken away from them. We should be able to share our lives with there's. I do appreciate your own feelings about them of course. 

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I've only ever seen a dead badger which weirdly was brown and white and a tagged tawny owl which I found out was rung in South Wales and I found it dead in Tamworth 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,488
    The saddest part about living in a wildlife rich part of the country is seeing all the animals that get hit by cars. I've seen everything from otters to polecats, barn owls to moorhens and plenty in between. I think someone actually wrote a book called Squashed Animals or something similar because of the varied roadkill they kept seeing. Each to their own...
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.